Chilli Breeze electric

Advert

Hi Stuart, I built one in 1994 with a  i.c SC32 in which had a Martin Forest silencer (remember them), it flew superb either way up, would fly extended knife edge up and down the flight line with turn-a-rounds done with elevator at the ends and then land at my feet. A Electric conversion or version sounds ideal, I'll be watching.

**LINK**

Above a RCME / Modelflying picture link.

I use to call it my 'pure flying machine ' - you could put it into any part of the sky 'easily'

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 16/08/2017 06:19:48

How very interesting. I just happen to have a almost finished airframe of the aircraft's big brother the Chilli Wind on the workshop shelf. I built and covered it some years back, but never put a power plant in it. It was my last build from scratch effort and I was pretty pleased with it before ARTFs beckoned. Now electrifying that is an idea ............ smile

By the way I cut my aerobatic teeth on the Chilli Breeze a long time ago before it got re-kitted!

I built one when the plan was printed. Powered by an Irvine 36 coincidentally. Great model. Would knife edge loop with that motor. My dad's built/flown a number of different size Chilli - currently its an electric Chilli Wind. Doing a 60 size version is a project on my bucket list smiley

Here is my effort at the Chilli Wind, but I never got round to fitting her out. Still on the shelf in my workshop until I decide what to do with her.

fullsizeoutput_9f6.jpegI don't know if the Mike Delacole plan is still available. It was 1648 from Nexus Plans. Nice little plane at 57" for 40-50 size glows. I started off on the Chilli Breeze then flew a Chilli Wind that I made some years ago. Sadly I wrote that one off too. sad. I think I put an OS 40FP in it at the time.

I made this post wondering if anyone remembered the Chilli Breeze and find there is plenty of interest so thanks to all so far. I have put my undercarriage as Tom's image and wonder for c of g if your battery is in the hatch over the wing or further forward where the tank for would be? Cheers Stuart

Yes Tom can see now. Your hatch is well forward of the dummy canopy. I will adopt this system, would you estimate there would be enough room for a four cell pack? I know this may mess up the c of g but in case I want more power it would be good to have your opinion before I take the knife out to modify what I have. Cheers Stuart

Thanks for this Tom, it may be more useful than you may think, as an example, my Riot designed as a 3cell flyer on a 12/6 2200 pack, flies better with a 12/8 using 2500 4cell pack and for 8 minutes as opposed to 6 with what appears to be 25 percent more power on the supplied esc. Thanks so much for taking the trouble to reply. Cheers Stuart

It would be interesting to know how Tom mounted the motor in his Breeze. Mounted onto the nose ring perhaps?

In my opinion RCME would be better with a reprint of free plans of the Chilli Breeze and similar designs rather than the recent crop of single channel reprints!

I have enjoyed the recent crop of S/C plans offered with RCM&E although I have to agree, some reprints or even updated plans like the Chillie Breeze by Mike Delacole would be very welcome. Some time ago they published Paul Strawsons updated Maricardo plan which is still on my 'build list'. I googled the Chillie Breeze recently and noted it was a Traplet plan (1749), I wonder who owns the copyright now, Traplet or RCM&E as it was originally published I believe in RCM&E in June 1994.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 18/08/2017 12:44:56

I agree Piers. Fortunately, I have both copies of the Chilli Wind and Chilli Breeze plans. The Chilli Breeze plan indeed has RC 1749 on it copyright owned by Argus Publications as was then. Both plans came from the Plans Service as I was not lucky enough to be into RCM&E mags in 1994. It was June 1994 that it appeared in the mag from what I can see.