Chilli Breeze electric

Advert

You could do flapperons. They work, with caveats, IME.

They reduce the amount of aileron control.

They you don't reduce the risk of tipstall, IIRC with a strip aileron of fixed width on a tapered wing you actually make it a bit more likely.

Ailerons tend not to have the extreme deflection a genuine flap has, so as flaps they don't really go far enough to generate much drag although they do add some lift.

The alternative approach - doing a TX mix to raise both ailerons - might work better. It dumps lift and steepens the glide slope. However, it also doesn't help much with adding lots of drag and thus doesn't slow the landing down - although the change in glide slope could make the difference between a model that you can reliably get down on the strip, and one that might need a fair perfect approach to bring in.

Mine is quite light, so I haven't bothered. Saying that, it is a bit borderline on our patch, especially in dead calm conditions. Another half pound and I'd be trying flaperons or getting the knife out...

Flaperons are a recipe for a disaster in my humble opinion as they will aggravate any tip stalling tendencies and not do much as flaps, as Nigel pointed out. I think this is why they are not generally fitted. Alex, if you want to fit flaps it is only a matter of another couple of servos and a few more hinges. Following with interest wink 2 

I will be interested to hear how well the reflexed ailerons work Nigel.

I bought the Chilli Wind Plan and got the original magazine article too with the intension of building an electric version. When I ordered it I wasn't aware that the plan only showed a foam wing and to be honest I already have too many models in-build so the project has stalled for now. Will you be doing a built up wing?

Following your CW build with interest Alex.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 08/10/2018 21:27:28

Hi Piers,

My interest in flapperons was idle curiosity more than anything. I mostly fly 46-53 sports type models none of which have flaps. Given that I've added electric retracts and individual aileron servo's I'd be reluctant to add flaps........maybe I'll build them in to the scaled up version I'm thinking of.

With regards to the wing, it's an own design built up one in this instance, I used the foam wing root and tip sections and sandwich method to create the wing ribs added a 1/4 sheet half slotted main spar capped off with 1/8 X 3/8 strip plus a couple of 1/8 X 1/4 spars towards the rear and sheeted the whole lot. The wings are almost complete, just a little sheeting, cut out and face the ailerons to do.

Here's a question, I normally just use epoxy for joining wings.......anybody tried using gorilla glue instead

The wing for mine is built up too.

1/4 sq hard balsa spars. No webs. 1/4 LE, false LE and TE pieces. Fully sheeted with 1/16. Ribs 3/32 I think.

Joined with cotton bandage and pva.

I'd have used webs as well but it seems to have survived a few years without them.

I've never used gorilla for joining panels. Would imagine it would push things out if alignment as it foamed? Strength is all in the bandage or glass anyway.