Converting

Arron Davison

Advert

In general a 70 4 stroke would be considered a match but its not quite that simple as the nature of the power delivery on the 4 stroke is quite different and far larger props are normally used.

Do you have a specific model in mind that you want to run with a 4 stroke?

Posted by David Ovenden on 24/08/2017 15:26:19:

Arron, I think the Ziroli P-38 is 114" span and weighs in at around 40lbs. So it will need engines around 50cc or 3cu.in (300 size 4-stroke)

Jon - Maybe it would suit two laser 300V twin 4-strokes; what do you think?

Yes 300 or 360. We have had someone do this but i cant remember who. In any case it didnt end well as the tail departed in flight. I think he built another and it suffered the same fate

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 24/08/2017 15:31:48:
Posted by David Ovenden on 24/08/2017 15:26:19:

Arron, I think the Ziroli P-38 is 114" span and weighs in at around 40lbs. So it will need engines around 50cc or 3cu.in (300 size 4-stroke)

Jon - Maybe it would suit two laser 300V twin 4-strokes; what do you think?

Yes 300 or 360. We have had someone do this but i cant remember who. In any case it didnt end well as the tail departed in flight. I think he built another and it suffered the same fate

Was this due to vibration?

Steve Rickett built two Ziroli p38s, but I think he used 2 off Laser 360Vs.

Be aware that there is a structural weakness in the tail of the Ziroli design (hence why Steve built two after no.1 disassembled itself) so you might want to speak to someone who has built one to get the gen on modifying the tail..

22-steve-ricketts-lockheed-p-38-lightening-280x200.jpg

Thanks for filling in the blanks Alan. Now i remember the whole story. It was an issue with the model not the engines. The V's ran very smoothly and offered far less wobble than an equivalent single. Be careful if you go for the same model without any mods to the tail.

The engines he used were 360v's and they now live in his A20 as seen below.