burnt ESC smell

rcaddict

Advert

Posted by oldgit on 31/08/2017 16:04:03:

had a ESC burn out (whilst on ground) a few weeks ago in my wot4 artf but now i cant get rid of burnt smell inside fuz , have tried talc powder but to no avail - anyone any ideas

A couple of years ago I was given a wot4xl after the speed ESC blew up and the inside of the model was scorched. The model was put in my car for the one mile trip home and the smell lingered in my car for a month! The model was stripped repaired and the inside of the fuz sprayed to seal in the smell .It still smell of burnt electrics even now!  Don't know how to get rid of it but best of luck. It even made my garage smell for a couple of months and nearly got binned!

The ESC was a 120 amp job and blew up ,literally blew up  scorching the inside the Wot 4 badly so if burning is light it might fade soon. The model I have had a 105mm edf fitted to the top of  the wing but the owner forgot to give any air cooling to the edf hence its demised. 

Aaaaah, Burnt out electronics ...

When I used to work in the electronics world we were mostly using discrete components and not these integrated circuit thingies. When something burnt out, or as we said, 'Let the magic smoke out' , you could often identify the component from the smell. There was saute'd resistor, fried capacitor and roasted transformer - all smelled different.

Plummet

Yes, you could put a glow model in the car to get the traditional castor smell to overide the burnt esc. Or part exchange your car.  

Moral is to keep a plastic bag on hand to seal the model in whilst driving home. Or keep the windows open whilst driving.

Edited By kc on 01/09/2017 17:37:44