Model selection for "B" test

Vic Clare 1

Advert

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your input in reply to my post. Lots of different viewpoints, many valid and perhaps some not quite so, but that can only be a good thing for me to be able to add to the mix.

I'm NOT a 'B' flyer but I'm planning to see if I can develope my flying skills over the winter months from where I am (A) to where I wanna be, (B) hence my seeking advice from those with more experience and those who have already been there and got the 'B' Tea shirt.. I dont have the depth of knowledge as yet, and I am keen to learn from those who do. I was hoping you'd share and I appreciate you taking the time to do just that. There are two or three 'gems in the posts that have crystallised where my next step should be.

* I'm a sport flyer and not interested in display flying

*I can still remember the buzz of my first solo.

* I can still remember the buzz when I passed My 'A'

* I see the 'B' as a natural progression and a signpost to aim at.

* You won't ever see me flying at a show.........but hopefully I will be remembering the Buzz I got when I achieve my 'B' in the not too distant future.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. " life long learning what a wonderful thing!"

Best regards

VC

Yes, good luck Vic, getting your B (no matter what model you use) will be a major step forward in your model flying and an achievement that most model flyers will never attain. It's not easy, but then nothing that requires effort and application generally is. BTW - never say never, even flying for your club at a local fete or whatever is another step forward. yes

Posted by Don Fry on 30/09/2017 10:35:54:

But the point is, it is not a licence. If you want a licensing scheme, do one. I would point out, when you pass a moped test, that does not get you into the cab of a 44 ton truck.

That depends on whether the driver looks before he pulls out in front of you!

Back to the point, it might be useful to quote the guidance notes from the BMFA:

The ‘B’ Certificate

The 'B' Certificate is “designed to recognise the pilot's more advanced ability and a demonstrated level of safety which may be considered by an event organiser as suitable for flying at a public display.” As an Examiner, therefore, the level of competence required from a candidate should firstly be based on the question; 'has this person demonstrated their flying ability and safety to me in a satisfactory manner’ and, secondly, ‘how do I feel about them appearing in public, possibly at a large display, on the strength of the certificate which I may be about to award them'.

The aim of the 'B' certificate has always been to give the club flyer a personal attainment goal beyond the 'A' Certificate; a demonstrated level of competence and safety which is attainable by the average pilot with a little thought and practice. For many years the 'B' Certificate has been seen by some as a 'display licence' but, whilst it certainly has its uses in the context of displays, it has always been much more than that. It was set up in the first place as a method of encouraging club flyers to gain further flying skills by meeting and being tested to a recognised national standard and this is still it’s main function. The long term strategy behind this is that if enough club flyers qualify for their 'B' certificates then the general standard of flying both within your club and nationally cannot help but rise.

Examiners should be pressing this concept positively within their clubs and discouraging the idea of the 'B' as ‘just a display licence'.

I think we need to accept that although the primary aim of the scheme is to encourage enhanced flying skills, the BMFA recognises its validity as a pseudo licence and therefore the test needs to reflect this aspect to some degree.

Edited By Martin Harris on 30/09/2017 23:15:45