Do I really need to?

Corsair015

I have recently acquired a 1973 SIG Smith Miniplane kit from an auction my club holds.

In the instructions it states I have to cover the wood in multiple layers of dope before covering with an iron-on film.

Is this really necessary with modern iron on coverings used today?

or is the dope on there for another reason?

Advert

Posted by Percy Verance on 07/10/2017 09:33:01:

As jrman states, this almost certainly refers to the use of SIG Koverall, which isn't available in the UK as far as I'm aware. It's a fairly dated covering system now, with more modern heat activated/adhesive backed coverings available. As already mentioned, Sig Koverall fabric didn't have any heat activated adhesive on the back of it, which was the primary reason for applying dope and/or Sig Koverite to the airframe structure.

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/10/2017 09:39:05

One reason for the dope is to level the grain and lay any dustiness of the surface. I would still be inclined to give a coat of 50/5o dope thinners or a coat of sanding sealer. Again levels grain and lays dustiness .The main thing it does is reduce any chance of trapping air under the finish fabric or film.One of the reasons for lifting at a later date. Worth doing for the small amount of time it takes.