Warbird Replicas Bf 109 club.

Posted by Paul Johnson 4 on 06/03/2019 18:18:26:
Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 06/03/2019 15:40:43:

Paul , did you say Clam Day ?

Clam Day ?

Is that an episode of Sponge Bob that I've missed ?

Watch it you... my I remind you of a exhaust with no hole in it...!cheeky

Did Richard tell you he has weaned the boy's off the MOAMS and onto something else which he won't tell us. I can see a bloodbath next time we go round or having to spend a fortune on every sweet in the supermarket. crying

Edited By Glynn on 06/03/2019 22:32:22

Advert

Hi Graham,

I'm fine thanks. I used the same hinges that Richard put in the kits. They were pinned with cocktails sticks. Then covered.

I had a nice evening with Richard at his club on Wednesday. He invited me to bring the 109 as he gave a session on weathering and paneling. It was interesting to see how his club colleagues began to realise just how easy it is. I don't think Glynn was too impressed with me using his FW190 as a Guinea pig, he liked how it looked.... but... I only did one wing to show the difference. I wonder if he has finished the other side yet?

Paul

Many thanks for all your input at our club last night, There has been lots of posts on our facebook page on how the lads really enjoyed the evening. I was at Richards today getting the 190's legs sorted out in hope to stopping it nosing over, so I will be continuing your excellent work on ageing the Fokker. Once again many thanks to you and Richard from the lads at CMFA.

Glynn

Posted by Graham R on 14/03/2019 21:10:56:

Hi Paul, I have been applying the weathering technique to the 110. I will get some photos soon. Going back to the 109 were the wing flaps centre or bottomed hinged. If they are centred I guess you just gently round off the bottom of the l/e.

Sorry Graham... they are bottom hinged and pinned..!

Posted by Glynn on 15/03/2019 00:05:36:

Paul

Many thanks for all your input at our club last night, There has been lots of posts on our facebook page on how the lads really enjoyed the evening. I was at Richards today getting the 190's legs sorted out in hope to stopping it nosing over, so I will be continuing your excellent work on ageing the Fokker. Once again many thanks to you and Richard from the lads at CMFA.

Glynn

It's was a pleasure mate.... oh did you finish the other wing??? cheeky

• 4 months later...

Well had a little time to off this week so had to make the most of the weather...plus a hand from Richard (he did the hard work) The 109 had her first flight. We had an issue with the prop vibrating and didn't do the spinner any favours but when the spinner parted company Richard brought her in nicely... he was sweating slightly cheeky. Glad he was there. Anyway for your pleasure a low pass before the spinner departed.

Gllynn's right . I dont sweat . I m 90% reptile so i regulate heat via my ears . They just change colour according to ambient temperature .

Yes , I have to apologise to those on the 109 thread for not getting more video footage . Unfortunately the exploding spinner curtailed our flight after about 3 minutes . However it was a reasonable shake down .

We could have made another flight but for the fact that the departing spinner took about 1" of a prop blade with it !

Chugged in to land like a wounded Bison . Oh, ,and didnt bother with the flaps (as we already had a "flap on" ).

(you liked that , didnt you?)

I have to say, that Pauls immaculate model looked superb against the blue back drop . Slightly assymetric flap settings is the only real point to deal with . Easy when at home but not at the field .

Richard

Thanks guys,

Graham she does have an as3x receiver but the gyro is currently switched off. I am making a few adjustments to the elevator though, needs a little more throw and need to make sure the flaps are asynchronous, Aha...that explains why Richard was leaning to one side whilst adjusting the trim. I'll try to get another session with Richard and Glynn, Glynn has been getting first class at aerial photography.

• 1 month later...

Hi Richard,

Been progressing the corsair and now I appreciate the effort you put in as a kit manufacturer. The plans although good still lack a bit of information. This I will overcome but cross referencing the info there. The short kit has the major items there but it leaves a lot to be desired, the tail plane has the front ribs but the elevator ribs are an afterthought and way short of the correct number and size and have nothing to do with it the plans. The rudder ribs have only 8 cut 4 per side whereas the plan shows 8 per side.

This is not insurmountable but frustrating that we as modellers turn to the industry that boasts a excellent service.

No wonder you filled that gap with your designs and you deserve a big thanks for all your efforts.

I think myself lucky in starting out in kit building with one of your designs.

The Bf109 build, even with the fact I had the first prototype proved how much was included.

When you finally leave by the' slip out the back door' as you have put it the industry will have a huge gap.

Hi Graham,

I won't post the build on this thread as I would hope others who got Richard's kit will still add to it and it would not be right. I have some pictures and if I decide to post them I'll start a new one. I just wanted people to realise how much effort Richard put into his kits in comparison to what else is available. When l start a project I look for all the info on plans/kits available. I have always wanted a Corsair, the plans I chose were the Brian Taylor 61.5" and a short kit of laser cut parts. I think if I had started with this project I may have given up and just bought a foamy. I would have more chance of solving rubik's cube....... but I will prevail......!wink

Edited By Paul Johnson 4 on 18/08/2019 06:58:29

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Posted by Brian Hammond on 04/01/2020 15:22:58:

Why is the 109 sometimes ME and other times BF please

It all depends on who is saying it. Strictly it's 'Bf' (Bayrische Flugzeugwerke/Bavarian Aircraft Works) - not to be confused with BMW (Bayrische Motor Werken)

The designer was Willy Messerschmitt and the company was rebamed 'Messerschmitt AG (Arbeits Gruppe/Work Group or Team) in 1938. However, officially earlier designs retained the 'Bf' prefix, unofficially they were referred to as the 'Me' prefix.

Perhaps this wiki quote will clear it up (or make it even muddier)

" BFW was reconstituted as "Messerschmitt AG" on July 11, 1938, with Willy Messerschmitt as chairman and managing director. The renaming of BFW resulted in the company's RLM designation prefix changing from "Bf" to "Me" for all newer designs that were accepted by the RLM after the acquisition date. Existing types, such as the Bf 109 and 110, retained their earlier designation in official documents, although sometimes the newer designations were used as well, most often by subcontractors, such as Erla Maschinenwerk of Leipzig.

In practice, all BFW/Messerschmitt aircraft from the Bf 108 four-seat touring monoplane, to the Bf 163 light observation aircraft (which competed unsuccessfully for the government contract won by the rival Fieseler Fi 156 Storch design) were prefixed "Bf", all later types with "Me". "

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 04/01/2020 15:45:03