Warbird Replicas Bf 109 club.

Now I know why they savaged me as soon as I came through the door, It was like a sharks feeding frenzy. I'm diabetic so don't have sweets on me. Looks like I will have to buy some so I can go to Richards without being torn to pieces, my nerves were shot to hell. I thought they had been snorting sherbert dip again.

Advert

Anyway.... a little more work...

I have profiled the wing root but need to still blend it in to the leading edge and trailing edge

20180217_124905.jpg

I have also trimmed of a section from the scrap off cut from the wing profile from the bottom of fuz.

20180217_112926.jpg

This was shaped and glued to the wing when in place..

20180217_113000.jpg

This has had some filler applied and am awaiting it to dry..

The servo's for the Rudder and Elevator are in place and even connected up, trimmed with the receiver...looking good..wink

Posted by Graham R on 15/02/2018 18:22:32:

Suggestions needed. Having problems with the ply crutch not lining up with the wing cutouts on the foam cheeks. Everything else seems to line up ok. Pictures show the problem. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Wingseat.jpeg

Hi Graham,

I realize that I should mind my own business of course, but if the extra width of foam is where the wing joins to the fuse, could it then be that your blind nut is on the wrong side of the beam???

Cheers

Chris

Dave

I found the flap links when on didn't quiet let the radiator flap section close entirerly. As you have retaining screws on yours for 'storage' you might have to make the links longer. I used counter sunk screws on the links to prevent any catching. I also left mine so the flap section on the radiator rear didn't fully close when the main flaps are up. It gives the impression of the radiators being open slightly as would have been the case on the real one.

Posted by McG 6969 on 17/02/2018 14:28:00:
Posted by Graham R on 15/02/2018 18:22:32:

Suggestions needed. Having problems with the ply crutch not lining up with the wing cutouts on the foam cheeks. Everything else seems to line up ok. Pictures show the problem. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Wingseat.jpeg

Hi Graham,

I realize that I should mind my own business of course, but if the extra width of foam is where the wing joins to the fuse, could it then be that your blind nut is on the wrong side of the beam???

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

No problem, that's the reason we publish our work on here -to instruct and also to attract help and ideas.

Graham

No probs, Graham.

Just that I'm still on the apprentice site of model building and thus reading a lot of build blogs to learn as much as I can. Not really found to post some remarks with that little experience though, but this time I did.

So, glad to read that it was just a 'dry fit' on your pic. yes

Have fun with you build.

Cheers

Chris

Well... as you guys got the vacuum formed exhausts... not included in prototype. ( I know Richard would have sent me some if I had asked) I have made my own.

Now before you ask, as I haven't enough mould rubber and resin to do a 'big batch' I made them individually. It wouldn't be viable I am afraid to get some more materials for such a small run. Bit of a pain but all right in one off's.

Carved one, made a 2 part mould (10hrs each side to go off), and cast 12 in resin (each one takes 30 mins to demould time), these were glued to a piece of ply inserted into the foam deck sides.

20180222_110609.jpg

20180222_110606.jpg

20180222_110633.jpg

20180222_124758.jpg

I still have to make the covers that go over the top of the exhausts, anti glare I believe.

Only took me a couple of days...... Thank Richard for his vac forming kit...!

Hi Paul,

quick question, the ply tailplane supports, do they fit between the foam and the crutch or on the inside of the crutch. Have built the elevators, ruder and fin, not able to complete the tailplane as no balsa sheeting was supplied and am waiting for a delivery from Balsa Cabin. Started trimming supercharger moulding, finding it quite fiddly as no outline marking visible.

Your exhaust shield - nice touch.

Hi Graham

The ply tail supports go outside the crutch. The supercharger is fidley but you should be able to make out the join. I used some plastic off cuts to help brace the join. I also left some of the supercharger plastic at the base where it joins to the fuz to put in an insert of balsa sheet shaped to fit to steady it all up and give me a more solid area to join it to the fuz.

Posted by Graham R on 23/02/2018 20:41:40:

Hi Paul,

not able to complete the tailplane as no balsa sheeting was supplied and am waiting for a delivery from Balsa Cabin.

Graham a quick thought about the tail plane, I didn't glue it in position until the wing is built and in place, it doesn't have to be finished but I found it easier to align the tail with the wing. It only takes a degree or so of twist in the crutch to misalign them. I had to take a very small amount off one side of the tail plane support to get a good alignment. Wasn't a lot, about a millimetre but made a big difference.