Chris's ChtiCat Racer

Advert

Thanks for your advice, gentlemen.

Not removing the bind plug is one of the multiple things that could happen to me, certainly at this stage of 'non-experience'. blush

Before today, I had the mentioned 'motor-non-start' issue, which I still don't understand really, especially when it worked OK on 2S afterwards.

Of course, the Redcon has no 'manual', but I thought the sequence should be similar to a DSM2/X binding.

So, inserting 'thro' from the ESC, inserting plug from the rudder servo, inserting bind plug, power on Rx, flashing LED, power on Tx with trainer switch activated, wait for LED static, remove bind plug, unpower Rx, and at the end , unpower Tx...

Might be doing all wrong though... ??? ...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Dunno Control

That sequence sounds ok, not familiar with the DX6 but on my dx8 when switched on with the bind button pressed 'binding' is displayed on the transmitter and when it is happy the normal menu screen is displayed. At this point the rx will have stopped flashing and displaying a solid light just wondering if your bind has not been fully completed .

Paul

Thanks a lot, gents.

As it was a snowy & ice chaos here in BE today, I didn't go to La Grotte.

I don't know if John's DX6 is of the newer generation - mine is a pre-2015 basic DX6i - but I don't suppose it would make a lot of difference, if any.

Thanks to Paul for checking out my binding sequence. yes

Now, to be honest, I can't remember seeing the 'menu screen' back again after binding.

As I was concentrating on the 'static led' of the Rx, maybe i released the trainer switch too early, before seeing the main menu screen again. So somehow possibly 'interrupting' the bind process. Sjeesh... blush

First thing to try out when I get back to La Grotte.

Thanks again & hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Screen Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 11/12/2017 18:48:50

Hi Chris, it's brass monkey weather over here as well (you might have to Google that 😂 not sure if your rx has a satellite or not but I have noticed that it takes my rx with a satellite longer to bind for some reason. I have always watched the tx to finish the bind before checking the rx for solid light . Hope the weather improves soon for you

Cheers, Paul.

if you are watching lights on the satellite, you are too close to the receiver.

power on the transmitter, go to bind menu, bind, YES, NO.

Fit bind plug, power up receiver, and the rapid flashy lights appear.

walk away from the reciever, about a minimum of 2.50 meters is good. Press the YES option on the transmitter.

You have to be meters away from the transmitter when you bind.

"I don't know if John's DX6 is of the newer generation - mine is a pre-2015 basic DX6i - but I don't suppose it would make a lot of difference, if any.​" - Yes, they are both Gen2 models.

"if you are watching lights on the satellite, you are too close to the receiver." ​I would agree with that - stay away and watch the screen. By all means angle the Rx for 2-3 metres distance visibility, otherwise too close "swamps" the Rx.

Thank you gents,

No Paul, the Redcon has two antennas but no satellite, but now at least I realize that I have to watch the TX's screen and not the Rx's LED.

And I officially promise that I will step away for at least three meters. Thanks also Ron and John. yes

Not sure If I can get to La Grotte today - "brass monkey" weather, you know - but I'll be back later with a 'full report'.

I might get there in the end... blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Brass Monkey Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 12/12/2017 10:15:58

Hi again,

As I thought, the binding process will have to wait till the Ice Gods are a bit more tempered. sad

But I had a productive day at home anyhow. I added the last details to my deco markings, had the design printed on water transfer paper, let it dry and covered it with two layers of satin acrylic clear varnish.

010_chticat_deco_pub_900.jpg

And between all that, I started to draw the vintage wheels for my next Vicomte 1916 build. yes

While the varnish is still drying, I would like to mention - even still being somehow ‘mildly autistic’ - that there are some (a lot of !) spare logos on the printed sheet. I thought one can never know what’s happening when transferring to the model, although I’m a bit more confident with this job than with my previous ‘binding’ stuff. blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Autistic Control

Well, let's hope it will be finished a bit earlier, Stephen. surprise

... and no, it isn't representing the engine displacement either as it is a genuine EP thingie. wink wink wink ...

011_gaston_fiat.jpg

Sorry Max, but maybe it wouldn't be the best idea to have Gaston "on board" of this one. angel

But regarding the cab striping, you're completely right... but I just didn't thought about his taxi when drawing the ChtiCat stickers. blush Next time, just after the following total rebuild...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Checkerboard Control

Chris if you go on the BIang Good site and call up your Redcon Rx ( I have one too ) Then scroll down the page you will come to the instructions for binding the Rx.Very comprehensive. You can download them and have them to hand whenever needed.

Re La Grotte How far away is it.? I thought it was in your garden or at least on your property LOL. i didn't think it was a trek to get there laughyes

Thank you, John.

Yep, the instructions are indeed "comprehensive" but also quite confusing as they are a bit mixing up the bind & fail-safe procedures. Also, apparently the 'writer' didn't realize that it is supposed to be used with Spektrum gear. cool

Concerning La Grotte, no it's not in the garden as I don't have one where I live. So, yes my 'shed' is a 6-7 minutes driving from home. That's the downside as you can't go up there just to have a quick gluing of two planks. sad

When I leave there to get home, I really must try to have an efficient work approach/preparation for the next session.

But then fortunately, there is an 'upside' as well.  At +/- 30m² it's quite larger than a garden shed and it comes with a separate storage room & mini kitchen. It is heated, has a coffee machine, an old oven for vac-forming and even a refrigerator for the 'sunny & warm' days to come (?? !). 

So, I'm really not complaining, but (note to self) it still needs to be organised a bit better though. wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR La Grotte Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 14/12/2017 18:35:44

Hello to all,

As some social - read ‘mandatory’ - duties are calling for this evening, I’ll just try to give a short report.

1/ the binding got finally totally successful when keeping a larger distance to the Rx when binding. Many thanks again to the ‘Binding Musketeers’. yes

2/ all the last parts and bits were finally glued together.

3/ the rudder was adjusted/trimmed.

4/ after installment of as much as possible protective styrofoam in La Grotte, a few acceleration tests - on 3S - where done while totally forgetting that the thingie has no brakes… surprise

5/ the carbon front bumper seems fully operational but also convinced me that I really need some ‘space’ for further testing. frown

6/ … the ChtiCat is really a ‘beast’ and I don’t think I will be able to handle it properly… indecision blush

7/ I started to cut out the transfer decals & will be back when the deco is applied.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Social Control

Hi Don,

To be honest, I hope the ChtiCat handles a bit smoother when it "gets going". indecision

Anyhow, the next time that I push the throttle up, it will be on 2S. The 2212 on 3S is really to powerful, for me that is... blush

As I took them home, all the transfers are pretty much ready to be applied, probably tomorrow.

Stay tuned, gents.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Deco Control

Hello everybody,

I think I got a bit obsessed by the 'take off' power of the ChtiCat on a 3S Lipo.

But then, in my total mental unability, I propped it up with the 8" prop instead of the 7x4 normally dedicated for 3S. blush

So today, I tried it on 2S with the same prop and it's already a little bit 'milder'. But still way to much 'dragstyle' for this rookie with still a few very involuntary furniture hits.

I really need some larger space now or it will end up destroyed before I get to a real 'maiden glide' with enough safety space. The odd five meters isn't really enough for this beastie ! sad

Cheers

Chris

Hi to everybody,

… and in particular to those who were still waiting for some progress.

The ChtiCat had already some hesitant indoor mini-crashes, so I wisely decided to wait for some real ‘outdoors maiden glide’. angel

The final decoration was next and here are the results…

962_deco_01_900.jpg

963_deco_02_900.jpg

966_deco_05_900.jpg

968_deco_06_900.jpg

Even Gaston decided to wear the appropriate outfit regarding the possible ‘real life’ outcome. surprise

969_deco_07_900.jpg

975_deco_09_900.jpg

I was very surprised that the water transfers worked so well even in quite large format. On even coloured surfaces they do just great, the only problem is that since they are so thin, heavy contrasting surfaces - like the zebra pattern - will show trough.

I already thought about a potential solution, but that might remain a secret till I test it on the next Vicomte build… wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Solutions Control

Thanks for visiting gents,

I guess you must be very lucky, John. Fortunately Gaston doesn't understand cockney nor some 'black country' dialectics. wink

Max, I guess it would even be more 'kamikaze' to allow Gaston to ride this thing. frown

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Banzaï Control