Chris's ChtiCat Racer

Hi All,

I'm probably a bit late to the party (only just noticed the thread), but I thought you might like to see my Chticat.

It's built from one of the original Guixmodel kits, and is a bit unusual, because the MFC I'm with insist that our racers have fully enclosed propellers for safety. Some people have made up prop cages from welding rods, but I thought I would copy the format used in our Airbug hovercraft (the blue one in the 3rd pic below), which have a cowl made out of EPP. For the Chticat, they further insisted that I fitted a grill in front of the prop, as (unlike the Airbug) it's near the front. RS Components had a suitable 7" equipment fan, which fitted the bill perfectly.

Seems a bit over the top maybe, but it makes it safer for all present when we have 4 or 5 of them whizzing around in the gym.

img_1842.jpg

img_1841.jpg

img_1731.jpg

Hi Chris,

I live in Bristol but managed to order it from eBay; here (although he seems to be out of stock at the moment:

**LINK**

He's in Puchheim, Germany apparently.

As for the Airbug, I believe originally it came as a kit from flyingwings.co.uk, although I don’t think it’s still available.
I got the plans for it though my club, as there must be 15 to 20 of us who have them now. It’s not as stable or directional as the Chticat. I’m now on my 3rd Airbug (they get ‘tired’ after a season or two being thrashed around the school gym), and I've never yet been able to build one which corners properly - although others seem to have managed it frown.

Cheers,

Clive

Hi Clive,

Well, I guess that's the main problem with hovercrafts in general, it seems.

Unless you start quite complicated artifacts, they loose 'directional' ability during their 'large' slides at speed.

I would like to build one sometime, but then only one with a separate 'lift' motor - something like the Gryffon 2000 - but assisted by the 'ailerons' system of the Rover. Not for tomorrow though. cool

Regarding the Guixmodel kit, there was an agreement with the designer - who had redrawn the ChtiCat for EPP foam for free - that the kits should be sold in France only, not being exported to whatever country. Later, there was some kind of 'dispute' as some kits 'went' to German, Austrian & Swiss re-sellers. So, no wonder they would be out of stock now... angel

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Interesting to hear the situation regarding the designer's intention for Chticat sales to remain in France.

You can't keep anything to yourself nowadays though, a number of people in our club have made passable copies of the original, which is why my Guixmodels original is accompanied by 5 or 6 others at most of our indoor nights now.

Merry Xmas all smiley.

Cheers,

Clive

Posted by john stones 1 on 22/12/2017 21:57:38:

Merry Xmas Iris, Chris, Gaston. cocktail

Thank you John! Cheers! Very sweet of you. Same to you and your loved ones. heart

Clive, love your Trump-mobile!thumbs up

AndyD, Chris is not the best placed person to keep Gaston from drinking. I have the key of the wine cellar... wink

Max, that's why he is called kamikaze-Gaston I think. He is going to sit on there like a cowboy on a bull! cool

Merry Xmas to all!

Iris

BE - Key Control

• 4 months later...