Trimming Abs parts

DaveyP

Hi all, I'm building my first model which has Abs parts, cowling, undercarriage covers etc.

What is the best way to accurately trim them to size ? My scalpel won't touch them and I'm reluctant to use a saw blade. I guess my thread about a Dremel for xmas was a bit premature I need something now.....

Advert

HI I don't know how thick the ABS is on your kit is but thin to medium sheet can be cut simply by scoring along the cut line with a scalpel then bending the sheet to open the cut and it cracks through quite easily . Once part is removed from sheet smooth edges with scalpel scissors and then a final sand smooth . try on a scrap piece first . The thicker ABS used on bigger kits like Pica is a bit more difficult to cut and a Dremel or similar tool make life easier. A hot scalpel blade also cuts through quite well

I've just checked and most of the Abs is 1mm thick, and there don't appear to be any cut lines.

I guess it's going to be a case of cut/fit cut/fit cut/fit etc....... I think I'll be getting that Dremel sooner rather than later nerd

The model is an Airsail DHC Beaver 61" span.