Tim’s Grumpy Tigercub

b8e0da41-4878-478f-9cf8-1c32d9278dd9.jpeg

Always wanted to build a mosquito but not quite brave enough yet so when someone pointed me at Peters Grumpy Tigercub I could not resist.

It will be electric and the resulting empty nacelle space was too tempting. It’s going to have retracts, 2 3/4 inch wheels to cope with my grass strip and have flaps as well. Finally settled on 60 inch span and scaled up the pdf of the original Peter had sent me.

Spent some time drawing out new nacelles as these were key and ended up with a set of drawings to try an experimental build with.....

8b7d6aed-d350-4f5f-b0be-dde657e3770b.jpeg

Advert

I watch with great interest. I've started similar, with flaps, no retracts though, same size as Peter's plan but with lengthened '3N' type nose. My plan was to fit the ESC's above the wing to avoid lengthening the leads to the battery but it all seems a bit too tight. I see you are putting them in the fus -which is fine for space but what sort of connectors are you using to join to the wing to avoid lots of separate plugs. I haven't found a good solution (yet).

I do admire those retracts though!

The legs are from HK John. Spent more time on the net deliberating on what to get than I ever did fitting them ! They didn’t cost the earth so when I bend them ,as I surely will, I will not feel too bad . Hopefully the rake and the big spring will help. Did have to wait for them to come from the Hong Kong warehouse though. The retract itself is also stand HK but availible from UK warehouse.

I am following best practice and keeping the esc’s as close to the battery as poss. That’s why they are all in the nose.

I found a moulded socket that holds three bullets, so one plug for each side where the wires exit the wing. That’s my current plan.

I’ll add a picture later in case you have not spotted them before.

Tim

I have started on this one also. I've only started cutting parts to make my "kit", but may put those aside and get the plans reprinted to 60 or 63 inches. I have been thinking of adding flaps, ailerons, and retractable mains and at the moment I on makinf a 3 piece wing. At the current scale the Centre section would be 20 inches wide, ending just outside the nacelles. It may be time for me to rethinks things over though so I'll be following your log with interest.

Funny you should say that Peter. I keep changing my mind whether to stick with the bubble canopy you chose or having decided on a military theme, do as you intimate withe the turtle decking and obtain/make a more Grunman type of cockpit. I expect i will change my mind a few times more yet.

Tim

Edited By Tim Ballinger on 18/11/2017 09:23:20

Posted by Tim Ballinger on 18/11/2017 08:57:41:

3 piece wing - few challenges there I think. Though With hinges it would be even closer to the Tigercat inspiration devil.

Tim

This is the 3 piece wing I made for my Flugboot. I'm afraid hing is quite a bit beyond my capabilities though.

dscn2837.jpg