Chris's Vicomte 1916

Advert

Great job m8. Luv the staining. Are you going to use French polish for the finish? Don't laugh too hard it was done on watershrunk silk or tissue before they invented dope. Similar to oiled silk but that was sewn onto the frame. It was thinned 50/50 with meths I think.. My dad used it as a boy in the early 20th century. making A frame pushers and the like. I say before dope was invented .It probably had been but was not readily available then.

Thanks, John.

I'm quite pleased with the staining. And Gaston is sharing that feeling as well. yes

And no, I wasn't laughing too hard... except when putting some of your words in an online translator, just doubling the 'n' of your "finish".

In French it then translates as > "Français Polonais pour le Finlandais"... surprise

Yeah, supposedly a very stupid pun, I know... blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Pun Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 28/09/2018 20:06:58

Hello to all,

I had a lot of activities during the weekend, but unfortunately not really at La Grotte.

As I had prepared a paper covering test piece last week, I still managed to have a short testing with my beloved acrylic stuff. angel

The intention is to use it for Vicky’s sheeted parts of the fuse. Here’s simple scrap piece of ply with a brown square paper at the left and the equivalent bit of white at the right.

989_vic_stainingtest01_900.jpg

I had a light staining at first, followed afterwards by a more contrasted one. Looking at the picture, I noticed that I forgot to ‘mask’ a stroke of the white paper to show the original stuff. blush

I think I‘ll use the brown paper but with a less ‘heavy’ contrast by using the smaller ‘dots’ of the white paper at the right. Not truly decided yet but still some time to ponder. indecision

991_vic_stainingtest02_900.jpg

Looking at the close-up pic, it seems a bit like an ‘abstract structural’ canvas painting… cool

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Canvas Control

Hi again,

Facing the fact that I’m lacking some time to make large bits at the moment, I’m trying to concentrate on the smaller ones.

In this case, the control horns for the tailplanes.

998_vic_controlhorns01_900.jpg

I found some sketches that the designer used to have for his Super Baron in 2006 and that he re-actualized in 2010. After such a successful early design, I think it’s amazing that the same man gets his creation updated and makes it better/lighter just… 40 years later. cool

I made mine with some scrap glass fiber off cuts from an Ultralight that I built… only 15 years ago. No worries about aging, as it was aero-grade prepreg, but that’s why one side is gel-coated. angel

1004_vic_controlhorn02_900.jpg

Rudder and elevator were then cut out to have a first dry fit of the horns.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Prepreg Control

Hello, if there is still anyone visiting?

As I would like to avoid having some ‘redundant surgery’ to the fuselage for the closed loops exits, I started to prepare the bits to measure for the most acceptable position for the upcoming servo plate. cool

1009_vic_controlhorn03_900.jpg

1016_vic_controlhorn05_900.jpg

1013_vic_controlhorn04_900.jpg

Having the tailplanes set in every possible position and with the help of some chord and thin piano wire, I just hope that I’m not giving birth to a total disaster now… blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Measures Control

Hi again,

This might look a bit strange, but it is just the inverted ‘V’ post for the top wing flying wires positioned just aft of the CoG. cool

1024_vic_riggingpost01_900.jpg

I couldn’t really come up with an alternative build method than building it flat to the board with the correct angle and adding the ‘pear/drop’ shaped plate for the wires at the top of it at a second stage. angel

1025_vic_strutscheme_900.jpg

Here’s a diagram how the wiring should be integrated at the end of the build.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Flying Wires Control

... unfortunately, no progress in La Grotte during the week-end.

The LotH's council elections being planned for next Sunday, October 14th, the amount of 'social duties & commitments' are becoming totally overwhelming. frown

In a way of 'escaping' from it, I had a few relaxing moments to spend with Photoshop and I couldn't resist to post it...

1018_vic_canvas02_signed.jpg

Just a little 'color balance ' adjustment and a touch of 'contrast' gave me my first (fake) canvas paint of 2018...

If it needs a formal identity for posterity, Gaston decided to name it ' neo-structurism'... surprise

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTRContrast Control

Thanks John...

My days are pretty busy and yes, I sometimes require some of Chris's time for the 'project' right now.

Referring to one of Chris's former posts about the inverted V. I am not intending to go that way... I want a full one for 'victory'... wink

But keep on building Chris, that's what you love and I heart your very detailed blog.

Thanks a LoTH,

Iris

BE - BRU /CTR Campaign Control

Hello again,

I had a very short building session but managed to get the rigging post finalized. angel

I simply had a bit of filing, added the ‘drop’ shaped wire holder and made a couple of ply roundels for the bottom.

1028_vic_riggingpost02_900.jpg

The idea is to keep the rigging post dismantable for easier transport and storage, so some holes were drilled at the base and 2mm wire epoxied into it. They fit tightly into the carbon tubes previously foreseen in the center section.

1031_vic_riggingpost03_900.jpg

The rigging wires being elastic bands at the top, they will help to keep the post in place but will also allow it to be easily laid flat for handling without dismantling anything.

Apologies for the ‘over-contrasted’ pics but we’re still in full summer mode here in BE. cool

This will very probably be my last job of the week as Iris’s ‘big’ day is really getting close now...

Hakuna matata (so far)...

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Upcoming Stress Control

Thanks, Martian.

Unfortunately progress has really got a turtle speed recently. I guess I'll just have to cope with it. blush

At the moment, I don't even think about when to join the Fury Class. So much left to do to finish Vicky...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Turtle Control

Back for report, chiefs.

Quite a lot happened this week-end, but not in La Grotte as you all know by now. blush

The great news is that Iris’s first appearance on the city election list was a big success. yes

Her party finished second largest out of six different parties and The LotH will officially become City Council Member… cocktail cocktail cocktail

Depending on the formation of the future governing Coalition and being in second position in her own party, she might possibly become Alderman (-woman?) as well. cool

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Council Member Control

Thank you all, gents.

I can't really remember The LotH being less "bossy" than nowadays wink, but I don't think it will be enough to assist with the Brexit, Paul. sad

I had a big smile, Colin. Besides being left handed as well, nothing is really there to compare me with Denis T. Anyhow Iris has enough "power" by herself to handle it properly. All I did was a bit of marketing guidance to her energy... cool

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Ground Control

Not that modest at all, Colin. wink

But is desert camo typed bermuda gear considered as 'trousers'... ?

I finally had a La Grotte expedition yesterday to try to finalize an experiment with Pierrot The Driver. yes

Full report to follow soon...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Desert Camo Control

Posted by john stones 1 on 17/10/2018 19:13:11:

Never doubted you Iris, congratulations and well done to both of you. yes

Thank you John, very kind of you. Colin is right though... Chris wears the trousers! wink

I learned something about planes today.

Did you know a propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane to keep the pilot cool?

When it stops you can actually see the pilot starts sweating.

Have a nice evening gents!

Hakuna etcetera...

- Iris

BE-BRU /CTR Fun Control

Very well done "II" as I used to call a beautiful Iris I once knew. (pronounced eye -eye ). Have you two tied the knot yet? If not why not? If yes I apologise for asking I only ask having just lost my wife and was glad to have been married to her for 44 yrs. A lovely lady as I'm sure you are too.. Love to you both. Mods - sorry if this is inappropriate here