FMS Typhoon

Cliff Bastow

My wife and kids bought me this for Xmas.

wp_20180118_18_30_46_pro.jpg

wp_20180118_18_30_54_pro.jpg

Always been one of my favorite aircraft. The model is lovely, really nicely made. The quickest ARTF I have ever done, about half an hour to have flight ready. Screw on the Tailplanes and connect pre-fitted linkages. Fit your RX and set rates and you are ready to go.

One really nice touch is this removable battery tray.

wp_20180118_18_31_35_pro.jpg

You can fit the battery outside the plane, then it slides in on rails and locks into place.

wp_20180118_18_31_45_pro.jpg

I am going to have to paint those exhausts though!

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 18/01/2018 18:49:31

A club mate has one of these, really looks nice and flies well. Does have a tendency to nose over.

I have the bigger FW190 and that flies beautifully and has better ground manners.

Also have the Dynam Hurricane, that's this size and that too flies lovely on 2200 4s and can normally take off and land without nosing over.

A couple of washers over the rear u/c mount screws between the gear unit and the wing mount will give a bit more forward rake and help keep the tail down. I've got a bigger Typhoon from the TN plan, and that is very good off grass, but of course has bigger wheels which helps. Lots of elevator throw, with plenty of expo, and opening the throttle slowly is the way to go. Good luck with the maiden.

Posted by Richard Elliot on 19/01/2018 18:47:04:

Hi Cliff

A clubmate had one of these, out of the box it was very tail heavy with a 3s 2200 in and needed a hefty piece of lead in the chin behind the grill. Flew horribly without it and superbly with it. Nice model

I experienced the same problem with one I maidened for a friend. Looks like it might be a feature to watch out for.

After all the advice on here, I have packed out the back of the uc mounts to tilt the wheels fo​rwards slightly.

​As regards the cg, all the wisdom online suggests that 45mm from the leading edge as given in the manual is wrong and 65mm is a better bet. Still had to add some noseweight to achive this.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Cliff, congrats on a successful maiden, I have one waiting to fly also. What battery did you use 2200? I see that looking at your photo of the interior it has the steel slugs in the nose, some apparently had these omitted and it appears to be random as some have had problems getting CG right. Luckily mine has so am aiming to maiden tomorrow.

• 2 months later...