Goggles

I could do with some goggles to go sloping in this cold weather. I assume ski goggles are the thing. Non- tinted. And ventilated so they don't mist up.I need some to wear over spectacles.

Can anyone recommend something that won't cost the earth? I had hoped to find a supplier here in Devon so I could try on first, but not got a clue what to look for, really!

I fancy that workshop goggles will be no good, but wondering if any other sports use them. I see ski stuff being slightly elitist with prices to match. Thanks.

I was facing the same problem as described in the OP. I bought a pair of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0728D6B21/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1​

I went for the "Green" version as its Visible Light Transmission (VLT) figure is shown as 83%, said to be suitable for dark days. I didn't want something that acted as sunshades, as it's rarely sunny in the conditions that I want to slope-soar. The lower VLT figures of 11% for some of the goggles suggests that nearly ALL of the visible light would be filtered out - it's bad enough keeping tabs on the model in normal lighting conditions! I have the goggles on as I type. They are fine in artificial light, and a little yellowy. They work fine in daylight and I don't forsee any problems. Without spectacles, I can see at distance without distortion. With the goggles on, I see no better with or without my varifocals so I think I may well use them without spectacles on the slope, simply for less clutter around the head. My spectacles are fairly large and measure 140mm across the outside of the hinges. Putting the goggles on with my specs already on my head is a bit of an inconvenience, simply because it's a 2-handed job and the sponge has to be negotiated around the frame. At rest, the sponge insert is 120mm. bending the frame of the goggles brings this out to 140mm with no difficulty. It's simply easier to do this with the specs off, fit them into the goggles and then settle the ensemble on to my face.

I note that there is no "relief" in the foam to cater for the spectacle legs. This is provided for in more expensive goggles, but at the price I paid I can live with that - especially after seeing the £150+ versions in a ski-orientated shop! My solution will be, if I need it, to take a pair of scissors and trim away sufficient foam to form a channel to clear the legs. Even with that, my eyes are not going to be subjected to ANYTHING like the battering they get in an in-goggled situation. I don't feel I've wasted my money with this pair, even though they've had minimal use.

Brilliant. Thank you for those informative replies, lots of types to consider.

I don't think I'd go for the workshop ones, I've always had trouble with them misting up. The double glazed type sound good and the way to go.

I had anticipated needing clear lenses, though. I wear reactor glasses and sometimes struggle with model orientation when they get further away, as they sometimes inevitably do. So I'm struggling with the idea of tinted goggles. My aircraft are a mix of colours, but most are white with decals.

Maybe I should use non-tinted glasses with tinted goggles?

My spectacles are both light-reactive and varifocals. I haven't noticed any problems attributable to the tints - I think the brain's busy enough flying and dismisses the colour change as insignificant.

I doubt if you'll find clear-lensed goggles at a low price.

Orientation problems at a distance? Me too! I don't think, however, it can be blamed on anything other than my own eyes and level of competency.