Sky Pirates 1977 - remember this?

Alistair Taylor

Advert

I was there at Kenley in 1962 and with friend Rodney Johnson we rescued a lost Russian plane owned by A.A Arler. which I carried on the back of Rodney's tandem. It's a shame that I did not realise that one of the England team Chris Olsen was related to my cousin's husband and that Chris used to test his plane's engines in the grounds of Queen's hospital at West Croydon not far from where I lived.

Ah, Percy! Your FLC is but a young whipper-snapper! How about this:

My Bonner Digimite-8 c:1966. I bought it 2nd hand off a fellow club member in 1968. 8 channels, fail-safe, and weighed a ton! Never let me down - I even flew a helicopter with it - and still working today! It only ever wnet into fail-safe once - very briefly! And that was when a fellow club member flying a FlightLink set got between me and my model!

Or even older:

My Grundig 6-channel "reed" set (well, OK, electronic tuned filters!). Non-proportional, "bang-bang" from 1965. Utterly reliable and again, still working today!

I keep getting tempted to build a model for that Grundig and fly it again, but most model clubs / events banned 27 MHz years ago.... sad

--

Pete