Hurricane IIc - Night Reaper

Advert

Started my build of the Hurricane this evening. I've decided to model Hurricane JXE "Night Reaper" as this is a little different with a totally black underside and a couple of interesting "things" under the wings. I assume they are fuel tanks but I could well be wrong. May be someone can enlighten me?

As I will be away for June through to August I will have to finish Night Reaper by the end of May if I am going to get to the Orme in September. I'll do my best but it's going to be tight.

I am still waiting for the remaining sheet and strip materials to arrive so I started on the battery box assembly and the radiator to get going. Photos when they are finished - may be tomorrow.

Good to see another 1 Squadron Hurricane Stephen! We'll have to arrange a squadron patrol over the Orme in September.

Karel Kuttelwascher became famous for flying over German nightfighter stations and picking off the enemy fighters when they were vulnerable when taking off or landing.

The colour profile you show does have long-range fuel tanks under the wings.

Fuselage basic assembly is now done. It went together nicely with no issues. I just had to ease F3 and F7 slightly to get a good fit over the ply wing doubler.

hurricane tail.jpg

You may notice the position markings for the formers on the outside of the fuselage. I made the stupid mistake of marking up two right hand sides .... Deeeer! Fortunately I spotted my mistake before adding te centre stringer and wing seat.

Now F8 and F9 are in position and the adhesive is curing - on edges below the central stinger only at this point.....

hurricane f8 f9.jpg

Next it's time to start torturing some balsa.

Nice one Stephen - glad that's gone together so easily. Do please double check the height of the formers you've yet to let in from the top - as if your fuselage doubler is set as per sheet 2 - as I'm sure it will be - you will find you need to add 2.5mm of material to the doubler recess on these top mounted formers to maintain them at the required height.

It applies to F4, F5 and F6. This would be consistent with the issue identified last night as written up in the woodpack thread.

Thanks Phil.

I fitted formers 4, 5 and 6 this afternoon and you are correct, all three sat a few mms low in the fuselage. I found that the easiest way to correct this was to add a 10mm length of 2.5mm balsa on top of the doubler and glued to the side wall. F4 needed slight surgery to the doubler recess to allow it to fit. Now all three are correct as per the plan.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished to lower rear fuselage today - except for final sanding to shape. Triangular sections added and trimmed to profile, lower surface sheeted with cross grain balsa, and then rough sanded to shape ....

lower rear fuse.jpg

Every time I have been waiting for adhesive to set I have been working on the radiator housing and that is now ready for covering with glass / epoxy. I used styrofoam instead of balsa for the infill as I have loads of off cuts lying around .....

radiator.jpg

I just wish I could work out why all my photos taken in the workshop are sown inverted on this thread. Anyone got any suggestions?

Hi Peter, I'm not planning on dissolving the foam, I'm going to cover the entire model in 25g glass and epoxy but I suspect that the radiator will get a hard time on landing (?) so I will give this part an extra layer or two of glass. I'm also thinking of mounting the radiator with magnets so that is 'breakawayable' . Same for the oil cooler moulding.

• 3 weeks later...

Been struggling to find any spare time in the last couple of weeks but finally got into the workshop today.

Finished the fuselage internals with the servo trays (rudder and elevator) 1/4" higher than on the plan to make sure the snakes align with the servo arms.

Fitted the internal structure around F4, F5 and F6

img_0419.jpg

Then out with the ammonia!

I started with the lower area in front of F3. The balsa grade seems to vary a lot between each side. The left hand side softened really quickly and curved easily while the other side took two doses of ammonia and about 30 minutes before it could be safely bent over. I glued it all together with CA and then added the lower sheeting to strengthen the whole area.

img_0418.jpg

Tomorrow i'll have a go at the rear fuselage. Should be interesting!