SOLARTEX

Ernie

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 13/03/2018 17:29:08:

No than's not right. You can buy Oratex for full-size aircraft that needs the adhesive to be applied to the airframe, but model Oratex, such as this:

**LINK**

has it's own adhesive backing, just like Solartex. Yes, you can buy an adhesive called Hotmelt as well, but this is intended to be used like Balsaloc is with Solartex - ie as an extra.

I hadn't noticed that, thanks for the info. Let's hope that Solarfilm can pull the fat out of the fire, or have someone else make a proper go of the company (unlikely).

I would say that is doubtful. It would seem that the film and tex production machines have been moved out of the Solarfilm factory ready for disposal (ie scrap) as they were out in the snow during beat from the east and storm emma.

Apparently the message on the Solarfilm website about starting direct online sales is just to dispose of residual stock and then that's your lot.

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 14/03/2018 09:19:52:

I would say that is doubtful. It would seem that the film and tex production machines have been moved out of the Solarfilm factory ready for disposal (ie scrap) as they were out in the snow during beat from the east and storm emma.

Apparently the message on the Solarfilm website about starting direct online sales is just to dispose of residual stock and then that's your lot.

Well, that's that then. A real pity that another unique example of British manufacturing industry bites the dust. Funny how their German counterpart appears to be managing ok though - same old story I'm afraidangry

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 13/03/2018 17:29:08:

No than's not right. You can buy Oratex for full-size aircraft that needs the adhesive to be applied to the airframe, but model Oratex, such as this:

**LINK**

has it's own adhesive backing, just like Solartex. Yes, you can buy an adhesive called Hotmelt as well, but this is intended to be used like Balsaloc is with Solartex - ie as an extra.

Sorry, I didn't spot the adhesive backing sentence. I note for the link the it's 60cm wide whereas I've just checked the roll of Solartex on my bench at the moment and it's 69.5cm wide so you don't get as much for your money/metre length.

Geoff

At least for Solartex and Solarfilm alternatives are available. But what about Clearcote and Solarlac? I'm almost at the stage of covering a vintage RC model and was going to use Solartex. OK, I can use Oratex instead, but my stock of Clearcote is low, and I don't have any Solarlac the right colour.

Clearcote seems to be the same as the old Balsarite, before 'Elfin Safety issues in the States diluted it to almost useless status. It is not only a good fuelproofer, but makes an excellent adhesive for Solartex. And Solarlac is the only paint I've had any real success with for years. What am I to do now?

Answers on a postcard, please.....

--

Pete

Posted by Don Fry on 13/03/2018 18:44:49:

But being serious, the ultra light aircraft shrink fabrics like Ceconite, work well. There are on line application instructions which are good. They sell a glue. Don't bother, balsaloc, or equivalents are good for us. Ceconite cone by the yard, off a ( I assume, six foot) width. Cheap.

Edited By Don Fry on 13/03/2018 18:45:18

!0/10 for the tip Don!!!

The Ceconite arrived in tube format about 7ft long! which sent SHMBO's eyebrow somewhere near the ceiling however after the Balsaloc was slapped on and hammered in place with a iron at 100 degrees and shrunk at 120 it goes on a treat.............. will finish off with some non shrinking dope.....