11C 213 Squadron Hurricane El Alamein 1942

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Latest News - I maidened my Hurricane yesterday at the Orme in 28 to 39 mph winds in lovely sunny weather and blue skies. I could almost hear the Dambusters theme floating over the air. I certainly made all assembled company salute - they didn't know the correct way to hold the right hand, but I didn't say anything.

Verdict - flies like it is on rails - very stable, very easy to fly. C of G perfect, despite my worries that it would plung into the briney were all misplaced. I launched it from the lower shelf out of caution and it just sailed away as if in an elevator. I also flew a house brick and a paving slab and they all flew, as you might expect on the SW face of the Orme.

I was able to compare it with my power converted Mustang, and it definitely flew better. It just smoothly and in a very scale like fashion grooved around the sky without any sign of twitchiness.

I set my control surfaces as recommended on the plan which were fine. I dialled in about 30% Expo as I usually do.

It rolls nice and smoothly, needs some down elevator to keep the nose up when inverted, and looks great. It loops well, and does quite a steep spin. It stall turns nicely and flies at scale speed. Some low passes looked very realistic against the azure blue of the sky. All the control movements just felt right with little or no adjustments to trim. I think this is a compliment to the model rather than anything else. I don't think I have flown a PSS model where I have so instantly felt at home with it. Most of them you have to get it sorted before you can relax. Not so the Hurricane.

I didn't launch it myself so can't comment. I would imagine the wide fuselage does not make it easy.

I am more used to landing mouldies with flaps. I had dialled in some spolieron which I deployed. I don't think it needs it and 2nd time landed without it. It doesn't fly quickly. It landed fine, but damaged the wing dowel. I think this is because it lands on its oil cooler which was fine and undamaged as it is fibreglased. I think the impact puts pressure on the dowel. I am going to replace it with a carbon rod to see if that helps. On reflection this might be because the fit is a bit tight of the wing on the fuselage. I say this because there was some creasing where the fuselage had been binding on the upper surface of the wing.

I also lost 3 of my guns. One had become detached somewhere on route or in the workshop and the other 2 came off in the air. Whilst they look nice for static display, I don't think they are much practical use for sloping

Edited By Peter Garsden on 19/08/2018 09:35:25