Booms etc on the cheap

Hi Folks, dropped into Poundsaver the weekend and in the kids section noticed some 2.7 metre fishing poles at a quid each, on closer inspection they turned out to be black Carbon Graphite and will make excellent wing spars or booms and the thin tips make great control push rods.

Butt diameter is about 3/4'' - telescopic with about five sections, very stiff and already have a nice epoxy colour job so no spraying if you use them as booms for gliders,

regards,           Terry

P.S I bought six!

Advert

Dearest Erflog mate,

Sorry about that but I will see if I can grab a bundle of them and let you know, beauty of them is they are telescopic so cant come apart at the joints so you just squirt CA down the tube end and snatch them tight and you have a usable boom, best bet would be to phone the shop to make sure they have them as this stuff moves pretty quick,

regards.

Terry

Made a Smith Special many years ago which used a fishing rod as the boom, which worked very well. Having searched the internet / telephone directory and found that we do not have a Pound Saver any where near, I was pleased to read further down the thread that it was in fact a Poundland, which we have one near. So will be paying them a visit tomorrow. 

Thank for letting us all know

Regards

Paul

Yo,

it is the 2.7 whips that are the best, they are black graphite tube and very thin and light and the thin top sections can always be used for control rods or something, the smaller 1.5 metre things may be OK for wing spars on gliders,

regards,               Terry

golfers among you might occasionally pick up a carbon shaft that has been thown away after the club head has broken off. taper is a bit more than on a fishing rod as the golf club needs to be stiffer.

another source is the £5 beach tents - usually sold at markets.  cannot make my mind up re whether they are CF or just black glass fibre.  light and parallel with end fixings into one another

Phil ----'er indoors already does b---s cos  I made them ! -- No carbon stuff etc just a lot of re-cycled stuff glued together  ( not 'er   !!  - the boats that is ! )

Grumpy Myron

PS  Now definately off thread -But I have a Billings b--t kit not started . Anyone interested ? More details available if I'm not banned from the forum  Then again our modificator is in Scotland ( & might not come back cos they got bigger mountains there !)

Wots the Billings kit you want to dispose of Myron? I am a born-again r/c'er having spent many years building ship models for American collectors, all my stuff is in the states now except for two models I built for myself,

regards,          Terry

P.S just mulling over a 4 foot span  PSS  Ki-61-II and waiting for the local wildlife to go back to school so I can go over the field and fly summat .

The boat kit is the HF 31 MARIA No. 520  .It's a gaff ketch  L:76cm B:18cm H:59cm.

Interested ?  Regards Myron

Hi Myron,

only ever built one Billings kit and that was the Bluenose, as it is at present I just cant use my machinery to prepare timber and my drawing board etc is dis-assembled so for something to do over the winter apart from aircraft a kit may be interesting, let me know wot yer want for it mate,

regards.         Terry

Erfolg,

the tent rods are quite stiff - but as i dont know intended use - I cannot say whether it is enough.  they are about 15" long.and 1/4" dia.

I suppose I could break one too find out how stiff and whether it is carbon fibre or carbon filled glass fibre, but if I did I would have anything to sleep under when i camp out at wings and wheels

re midges - Avon skin moisturiser - "oh so soft " has a reputation of keeping them off - I understanf Mel gibson used a lot of it when he was shooting "braveheart"

John

I would think midges would dine on dubbin sauced skin thinking it was just nicely done to a turn.

faced with squadrons of scottish midges - I will try anything which is reputed to work -

as it is down here in the deep south- faced with mosquitos - i just retreat indoors before they take flight based on the well known strategy - if you cannot beat them - RUN