Get rid of wiring!!

MaxG

Saw this which came from an organisation in which I have an interest, The Welding Institute based in Cambridge.

This could be the way we go in the future.

Anything to get rid of the tangle of wires I always seem to end up with in my models

Maxg

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/04/2018 10:21:51

Advert

Would be good but is this a demonstration of an idea rather than a working model?

For example what happens when RF signals are introduced into the equation - for our purposes essential.

Those servos don't just simply work, there's a control system which needed switching on for each one.

Still I hope it does come to something.

Well, there's a solution looking for a problem.

My thoughts are, they won't find that problem in our corner of the world.

Industrial robotics perhaps, where it could remove larger quantities of wiring across devices or spaces that may be difficult to service.

Still. All the best to them!

I am sure that it is not for us as yet but is more for military and aerospace in the near future. But that was how it was with 2.4 some years ago.

I just posted it for interest to show how things could go in the future.

Maxg

I don't think it's a solution looking for a problem as has been suggested (though I admit there are a few of those). I'm sure we've all struggled at some point in feeding reluctant wires through formers or wing ribs. Eliminating the need to do that has its attractions. However, I suspect the elimination of wiring comes at a cost - ie the need for added complication at the servo which would need a local energy source (presumably a battery) unless they're transmitting that as well and a receiver.

I'm sure there was a reason they connected the transmitter physically rather than wirelessly to demonstrate an otherwise wireless system but that rings alarm bells for me. After all transmitting servo control via an RF link is well established and necessary for a model aeroplane!

Certainly an interesting demo. Thanks for posting, Max.

Geoff