Possible interference from petrol engine ignition systems on 35MHz?

Paul james 8

Some of you may recall that I asked last year about the merits of 35mHz against 2.4gHz radio gear. As a result of the responses I got I've stuck with my trusty Futaba 35mHz stuff with no issues since.

I have a couple of really tidy Futaba T9CP transmitters with synthesiser modules fitted and have found them very good. There is no channel conflict in our club as only a couple of us still use 35 and have dedicated channels of our own.

I'm looking to put a petrol engine into a 1/4 scale Pup and already have a Stearman model with a DLE 20 fitted so wondered if there is any advantage to fitting say an frsky 2.4 module as far as interference resistance is concerned?

Is there any difference in using a PPM or PCM 35mHz receiver as far as ignition interference is concerned?

Title says 3mHz in error secret

Edited By Paul james 8 on 23/04/2018 17:55:01

Advert

Whilst I'm no expert, if it's any use I've been running a zdz 40 in a falcon aviation Eurobat on 35mhz for 12 years with no issues. Initially on a futaba ff9 and more recently on a Futuna 12z.

the only advice I'd offer is keep all the ignition, power and Ariel wiring as far apart as reasonably possible (not sure if this would make any difference but I felt it was a sensible step)

Whether 2.4 or 35, good installation practice needs to be considered. Certainly the RF link with 2.4 is very robust, but there's still plenty of scope for the rest of the system to be affected by a poorly installed and/or poorly shielded ignition system.

Going back to the old days of 35 ppm & pcm, I know that quite a number of models were lost with pcm lockouts/failsafe with HT ignition interference, whereas a ppm system would glitch its way around the sky but still give a fighting chance of recovering the model. I hated 35 pcm, never used it, saw so many good models lost for what appeared to be no good reason. Never had a glitch (that I noticed anyway) with ppm.

Is the braided shielding around the HT lead very effective? I'm not sure why the ground connection for the spark plug body isn't via the engine casing like a car engine is? It would be easy to have a simple ring tag under one of the head of one of the mounting bolts.

I've been advised to put ferrites on the ignition battery cable.

Up to now I've only used glow motors, maybe I should just stick a big Laser up front and stick with what I know

I only have two models with petrol engines and both are on Multiplex 35Mhz IPD synthesised receivers.

One has a Zenoah 26cc magneto ignition engine. Advice at the time I put it together was to keep any electronics at as far as possible from the engine and to aid that I used a wooden dowel, rather than my usual at the time method of a bowden cable, to operate the throttle. Never had a glitch and I used to fly the model a lot.

The other has a 30cc Mackay with electronic ignition. The ignition module is separately powered from the receiver/servo pack and is switched both mechanically and with an electronic switch controlled from the transmitter (I have 3 ways of stopping the engine 1: the electronic switch, 2 the physical switch and 3 closing the throttle completely from a transmitter switch. There was fourth, undemanded method until I replaced the ignition unit . Other than that I had no interference issues.

I was careful with the installation in both cases. I don't think using a spark ignition engine is a necessary reason to change over to 2.4gHz but there are lots of others. I suppose if I flew my petrol engined aircraft more frequently I'd change over to 2.4gHz for convenience but for no other reason.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 23/04/2018 21:04:44