What happened to them?

Erfolg

I have just been forced to buy some new balsa. This set me thinking, in the good old days, most model shops sold Solarbo, they advertised in all the magazines, then there was Keil Kraft  and Yeoman.

I guess Solarbo closed down, but when, why?

Did Keil Kraft and Yeoman saw their own? Who processes Balsa wood now?

Does any one know?

Erfolg

Advert

I have just ordered some from Inwoods, as ther prices were as good as the Balsa Cabin, their postage is lower. More importantly, in the distant past I have bought from them and they were as good as the BC (who are also good).

My farther once obtained a large log of balsa, apparently used as insulation for LPG carrier (ship). I could only think to saw it, which was incredibly wasteful. In the end used it for blocks (which i did not really use much of in those days).

I wonder if any balsa is processed in the UK today?

Eric, it is back to digging out for my daughters drains and knocking down a kitchen now, just in case you think i am shirking.

Erfolg

Slec do processing, They used to be part of Balsacraft which was bought by Ripmax. They owned the plantations in Papua New Guinea.

They still do the processing, don't know about owning the plantations.

Prices are extremly competitive. I have to say that they really do select exactly the grades of wood that you ask for. Their wood quality is the best I have ever seen.

Inwood did not. I was not impressed with the quality either. Only ever had one order from them, never again!

Solarbo was British. It was bought out by Amerang.

As you may guess, I use a heck of a lot of balsawood.

Pete

It is a pity that the  SLEC web site does not work (on my computer at least).

I hope you are mistaken about Inwood, time will tell.

I guess the balsa trade is not that big a business these days. I guess that this aspect of the model trade was the product of the drive and determination of a small number of individuals, who created businesses because they had a love of modelling as much as the desire to make money. I am interested in who was Solarbo and Yeoman, Eddy Keil as they all helped create and develop the UK model trade. I just took them for granted, assuming that these were big businesses, may be they were or were not, I am curious.

I was suprised to hear that Phil Smith (Veron) came from Manchester, how he came to be in Bournemoth etc, must be a very interesting tale .

Erfolg

The SLEC Site doesn't work yet. Phone them and ask for a catalogue.

That was the real trouble, all the businesses were run by real modellers. When they were taken over by non modelling business men they went down hill. You should have heard Phil Smith's comments at the time just after Veron was taken over.

Likewise, Ripmax started off as a small model shop in Camden Town. I used to visit it in 1954. 

I also remember Ron Irvine was a Junior Technician in the RAF in the late 50s or early 60s. I remember him at the RAF Championships. He left the RAF and was selling Veco engines from his spare bedroom.  Look how that built up.

I remember watching Ron fly combat with a Veco 19 powered model. He hit another model dead centre, went straight through it and the engine never even coughed.