Grain direction

Tony j

Advert

Agreed it is confusing, I've edited twice now lol !   Depends on the build, I would say on balsa sheeted sides, then formers having the grain across the shortest length is strongest.

Edited By Ronaldo on 04/05/2018 23:54:55

Edited By Ronaldo on 05/05/2018 00:01:39

You might want the grain vertical in some circumstances eg where the rear fuselage has a tall stringered upper turtledeck section. In this case the former needs a couple of horizontal battens to resist the compression loads, maybe 1/8*1/4" on a smaller model, 1/8*1/2" on larger sizes. These would be positioned at the top and bottom of the sheet fuselage side locations.

Hi thanks all

yes had thought about laminating also thought about alternate former , grain one way then the next one the other but think I will look at grain up and some reinforcing as Bob suggest. A confusing subject for me at least . so many thanks to you all for your input I do like this site people are so helpful . Many years ago I asked a question on a unrelated hobby and was told I should know that !!

Kind regards

Tony j

When I built Peter's Ballerina I decided to have the grain on the formers running vertically.My reasoning being that when cutting notches for stringers the bits either side of a notch were less likely to break off if the grain is vertical rather than horizontal. I suspect the ability of the former to resist compression loads in this orientation may well be improved by simply using a harder grade of balsa.

The grain should run vertically. I don't put the grain on my drawing because I assume that common sense would prevail. Obviously it doesn't.

I do sometimes but 1/4 X1/8" strips across the former if I feel that the may be some compression force on the sides of the former.