Blackhorse Mosquito

Alan Brock

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be well built at first glance. All CNC cut light ply and balsa covered with plastic film covering.

However a few things, position of horn slots on flaps in wrong position, and worse the fuselage has a twist in it. Laying the fusey on the board with the wings level, the tailpane when positioned is about 20mm lower at one end! Managed to  tweak it a bit but now have problems with the fin and rear steerable wheel. Haven't got very far with it so far. Servos are all different sizes.

I think after some careful work it will be ok in the end.

Shame really all the parts are so accurately cut, just glued together by idiots. The trader who supplied actually built one and he said it flew really well so I am encouraged to finish it. Perhaps mine was a one off.

I'm sorry your model is not as it should be. I have decided to buy one but have just found out that the LMA show has been cancelled. Buying at shows is so much more fun and far easier to get various opinions on what gear to go with it.

Does your Mosquito have retracts in the box, as all the sellers on the web seem to say it does include retracts but the Ripmax site says it doesn't. If yes, are they any good, as I have never used retracts before?

shades.

Yes Andy there were retracts in the box. Seem to be standard mechanical(blue in colour) with a push/pull rod actuator.

I was hoping to go to the LMA show as well, probably be a good site for radio control boats today!

Have fitted servos for elevators and rudder, push rods tend to be a bit tight where they exit the fusey, bit of trimming required. Going to try to fit rudder and tail-wheel next. Need to order some micros for the wings.

Retracts are a bit sloppy in their cut-out, so need to temporary fit the nacelles to make sure wheels are in correct positions when up and down.

When using glue make sure your hands are extremely clean as I have noticed my model is getting badly marked my handling, fingerprints which wont clean off. 

The pilots are awfull, going to remove mine if I can cut them out without damaging the cockpit canopy.

• 2 weeks later...

I am/was keen to get one but a little put off by your comments Alan, twisted fuselage, sloppy retracts and iffy pilots, Circa £160 seems rather a lot for a model which, on the face of it, is below par assembly wise.

Are you being a bit critical, would you get one knowing what you know now? Probably more important, has anyone flown one yet?

GB

Yes I probably would still buy one, in anycase there aren't that many Mossies about. I think I have rectified all the problems, it would have been nice to have been problem free.

Had all the parts have been available as a CNC pack then it would be a superb model.

If you could see the pilots you would laugh your socks off, don't think I will bother trying to get some better ones though. My fuselage problem may have just been a one off.

Thanks Alan, you have restored my confidence, I will get one and let you guy's know how I get on.

You are right there are not many Mossies about although I dip scratch build one from an RCM&E plan about 10 years ago, twin Enya 40's, 70" span looked the muts nuts on the ground, I never flew the beast sold it to a fellow club member. I never did hear if it flew!

I wonder if my pilots will be better looking than yours! Have you flown it yet? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Alan,

I was wondering how you were getting on with your Mosquito. I was going to buy one at the time you bought yours. Things happened, and I didn't manage to get one. But I have recently finished and flewn an E-flite P38. A twin, but not quite as serious as the mossi.

I would love to know how your's goes as I am still keen to get the Mosquito. Since this thread started I have also finished a Black Horse Travel Air which I had bought years ago. The instructions are unbelievably BAD and would be almost impossible to build without a few models under your belt first.

Are the Mosquito instructions as bad?

Shades.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Someone at the club had a mosqiuto that flew for the first time on Tuesday.He had tried with smaller engines and it wouldnt take off,He has fitted a pair of 52 4strokes.Sounded lovely and it took off very easily.It was a bit viciuos in the air but that was due to the ailerons and to tail heavy.They had checked the CoG but it was out.Ill ask what kit its from and let you know.Very impressive modeland looked and sounded superb in the air

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

There doesn't seem to be much mention of these on here, so here is mine!

20130115_110351.jpg

20130115_110405.jpg

It still needs the markings attaching, and a maiden flight.

Most of the assembly was straightforward, although the extra wiring involved with the flaps, undercarriage and being a twin seemed a bit OTT!

I've fitted each wing with a 15 pin D-sub plug and socket to simplify assembly at the field, and each ESC has a connector in the fuselage too.

Instead of using the supplied mechanical retracts, I've fitted some hobbyking servoless things. We'll have to see whether they are up to the job.

I am using opto ESCs, and two switching UBECs, one for the radio and servos, and one for the retracts. Both ESCs seem to spool up together.

20130114_155013.jpg

I would like to find some 3-bladed props and suitable spinners, at present it is wearing bits I had in stock. The undercarriage doors are cut out, I would like to fit them so that they close eventually.

The advertised weight is 2.5kg, and I'm hoping that is the weight without electrics, otherwise mine is overweight, at 3.2kg - I can only account for around 300g of that; I'm using a 4s4500, rather than the 3s5000 recommended, and some more powerful motors.

With KMS Quantum 2820/06 motors, APC-e 12x6 props, and a 4s 4500mAh 25-50c Turnigy nanotech, she pulls 50A on port, and 53A on starboard, @14.7V, for 1500W. I reckon I could go to 3s, or prop down a bit then. Still, I can always close the throttle a bit!

Edited to add, all looks by eye to be square and true, and she balances at the recommended cg with the wheels up without ballast.  Some of the mouldings are superglued to the outside of the model (radiators, strip behind top hatch) and they can hold far too much CA, which then spills everywhere. No prizes for guessing how I know that!

Edited By Gordon Bushell on 15/01/2013 12:59:47

• 2 years later...