Mowing

ChrisB

I do the mowing at the club and currently have to go over the cut grass with the deck raised to help scatter the grass and remove the tramlines, this adds time and uses more fuel.

Has anyone used a tow behind leaf/lawn sweeper and are they any good? I dont intend to collect the grass, just to scatter.

CB

I have one, 42". the sweeper wheels drive the rotating brush. It can only be used at slow speed, much the same as cutting speed. For your purpose it wouldn't do any harm but I'm not sure that it would be a cure for what you are trying to do either. Its the bugbear of all rotary mowers

Thanks Stu. As you say, its alway a challenge with rotary mowers. I cut it yesterday, after only 5 days since the last time and the grass was 2 or 3 inches think in tramlines.

My hope was that the brushes would disperse the grass somewhat!

Our club's mower chucks the cut grass slightly sideways so, to avoid lines of cut grass I make sure I'm cutting in the direction that chucks the grass into the as-yet-uncut section of the runway. That way my next pass picks up and scatters the grass that the previous pass left. With luck it doesn't clog up the mower before I reach the edge of the runway.

Ours is a rear discharge hence the lines. I knew it would leave lines when we bought it and having coped up til now. I had wondered about fashioning something like a rake or push cylinder mower to tow behind somehow. Alternatively i’ll try a sweeper without the net

Posted by ChrisB on 14/05/2018 13:39:05:

Ours is a rear discharge hence the lines. I knew it would leave lines when we bought it and having coped up til now. I had wondered about fashioning something like a rake or push cylinder mower to tow behind somehow. Alternatively i’ll try a sweeper without the net

Ours is rear-discharge too, but if you hold the flap open wide with a piece of wire, it chucks the grass out at an angle, enough to spread it reasonably well, and certainly to get it to one side of the strip that's being mowed at the time. Best to wear wellies though, for with the flap open the grass is all over your legs.