New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018

GONZO

Posted by buster prop on 16/06/2018 07:50:04:

I'm very glad to read something positive on this subject at last. Don't get too excited though, Matty B will be along soon to pour cold water on our optimism.

This has the potential to work well for us in the medium term (2-3 years), but yes, it is far from the end game. The BMFA, the other MFAs and their members almost certainly have years of advocacy ahead of them to fight off the more onerous requirements being proposed for U-Space. We may well have won the first battle, but there are likely to be plenty more in the future.

Advert

A good result, well done from me.

I also did write (e-mail) to my MP and received a letter (dated 11th June) from him today. While much of the letter looks like a printed, standard reply, there is a handwritten P.S. saying " Given your expertise and concern I will pass this on to the Minister"!

I did include a picture of an electric glider (showing it isn't a multi-rotor) and a graph from a logged flight showing very little thermal activity below 400 feet.

Mike

Posted by fly boy3 on 16/06/2018 15:59:02:

Not having read all these posts, could you explain to an OAP what an on lne competence test will be. Thanks

Nobody really knows at this point, but the most likely implementation is an online multi choice test regard the revised ANO.

Posted by MattyB on 16/06/2018 16:47:44:
Posted by fly boy3 on 16/06/2018 15:59:02:

Not having read all these posts, could you explain to an OAP what an on lne competence test will be. Thanks

Nobody really knows at this point, but the most likely implementation is an online multi choice test regard the revised ANO.

I feel we should and will aim higher than this. For those operating under the excemption we should lobby CAA for BMFA (or equivalent) membership satisfies registration and possession of an A-cert satisfies the test requirements. So simply joining BMFA etc would be not be enough - makes it better for us and removes a loop hole for CAA. Everyone wins.

Interestingly the "doom and gloom" brigade, including the one that described those who expressed hopeful positive expectations about the outcome of this as "naive optimists", have gone very quiet haven't they? wink 2 Maybe the "optimists" weren't quite so naive after all eh?

We have a way to go yet as some have said, but let's not launch another "doom-fest"; instead let's celebrate this significant outbreak of understanding and common sense. The remaining issues are for the future and I think are fully solvable given the understanding and good will that exists - for now enjoy your flying unfetted by 400ft limits thanks to the work of our associations and the good sense of the CAA

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/06/2018 17:46:44

BEB, that sounds very sensible.

Once these exemptions come into being I also imagined a rush of people wanting to join approved organisations but then I suspect the reality is that those that operate outside any rules/regulations always will.

Lets hope lawful enforcement will deal with them.

Thing is...

It's all kicking off on the drone Facebook groups...

The drone brigade all now think that if they join the BMFA they are exempt from the Dronecode 400 foot rule. How has the associations defined 'Model Aircraft' and 'Drone'...?!

Posted by Guvnor on 16/06/2018 18:37:55:

Thing is...

It's all kicking off on the drone Facebook groups...

The drone brigade all now think that if they join the BMFA they are exempt from the Dronecode 400 foot rule. How has the associations defined 'Model Aircraft' and 'Drone'...?!

It is not at all clear that simply joining BMFA (et al) would be enough, that would be the loop hole I'm talking about. I'm sure the Associations and CAA/DfT have discussed this and have a solution that means you can't just join and gain excemption without any govenance and accountability structure around you. The Agencies won't allow that as it would undermine everything they are trying to do.

BEB

Well BEB, no it maybe isn't "all that clear". Maybe as Marty says the devil is in the detail. I hope not, and that simply being a member of BMFA will allow such members to fly their model planes ( as opposed to drones)on flying fields, slopes and fields much as they do already.

But you having a dig at the "doom and gloom brigade" seems a little unfair ( to put it politely ) after all, they were merely saying that if the status quo remains then come August there would be a big problem.

Now this latest statement seems to calm all those fears. And things will stay as they are.. Good.

But then we find you don't want that. You now want every B MFA member to be an A certificate holder ( or presumably they will become law breakers if they stay as they are.). I know many BMFA members, some members of Clubs, some not, who are not A cert holders, and do not wish to be. ( particularly glider pilots), but you would impose your requirements upon them. Even though the "good news" statement isn't going there at all.?

So much for wishing to keep things as they are, as much as possible.

Posted by Steve J on 17/06/2018 07:40:23:
Posted by Rich too on 17/06/2018 06:35:33:

I’ve been flying for 40 years without any sort of certificate and I don’t intend to get one now.

That is your decision, but it does mean that you will not be able to fly legally from December 2019 onwards.

Steve

That’s not yet true?

Posted by Steve J on 17/06/2018 07:57:59:
Posted by Rich too on 17/06/2018 07:41:18:
Posted by Steve J on 17/06/2018 07:40:23:
That is your decision, but it does mean that you will not be able to fly legally from December 2019 onwards.

That’s not yet true?

AN(A)O 2018 says that you will need an "acknowledgement of competency" from the 30th November 2019.

Steve

Yes, and I think we’ve established that we don’t know what that is going to be. Unless you know otherwise.

Posted by Percy Verance on 17/06/2018 08:01:49:

Mmm. However you read it, that's an "A" cert or above...........

As a former BMFA Examiner Rich, I'd simply suggest you take your "A". It certainly won't be difficult.

I’ll wait until the speculating is over.