New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018

GONZO

Advert

Typed long reply, Chrome lost it.

Gary - looks promising for other clubs, doesn't it?

Cuban8, MattyB - this absolutely is happening. Reconnaissance and cargo drops (I don't mean Amazon's advertising drive, this means serious stuff like in Erfolg's example, farmers will leap on the land & livestock inspection as well as spraying capability) are the killer apps for drones, and commercial operators are going to be using them for these purposes, are using them now in small-ish numbers, will be in bigger numbers. It is not just Altitude Angel looking to get in early and define the system, there are some seriously big companies putting equally serious chunks of cash into this, right now (I work for one - although that's far from my department). Our hobby uses are somewhat incidental to them. However. They will be looking to make it as easy as possible for commercial operators to get airbourne and get registered on their systems and get using it to start managing airspace use. Our (well, the BMFA reps, more power to them) trick now is to make is as easy as possible to get in for non-commercial leisure flights.

I know things are happening, and jolly good they are in the main, but I've yet to be presented with a drone system that will be operating at such a high density that we'll be a problem for them. An example please?
If you want an example drone twaddle, how about drones repairing potholes as reported in many papers and talked up by a television science presenter?

Posted by Nigel R on 12/06/2018 16:41:27:

Steve, I know - got lazy.

C8, what would any example show, nothing really.

The industry position is "drones are happening, how can we get in there early?"

Ok, I know when enough's enough ....................wink

Thanks for the screenshot Andy, it looks a very useful little app for those that take seriously the use of airspace.

Time will tell what impact it will have on us but with all the information available to me and only looking at my activities I'm not overly worried, I also have faith in the BMFA working hard for all our interests.

Posted by Steve J on 12/06/2018 18:29:06:
Posted by cymaz on 12/06/2018 18:15:49:

a simple step by step guide

How simple do you want?

As it stands, from the 30th July, small unmanned aircraft are restricted to 400ft except where otherwise agreed by the CAA and from the 30th November, you have to be registered with the CAA and have passed a competency test to fly a SUA over 250g.

Steve

I understand that but there was raised the gliders and slope soarers. How do clubs go about trying to get a Notam and a 400’ exemption?

Posted by Gary Manuel on 12/06/2018 13:50:30:

If Buckminster has applied and been granted a NoTAM which declares that large models are cleared up to 2000ft, is there anything to stop every model club in the country seeking a NoTAM?

We had one at Ashbourne because there was an operator consistently flying a couple of Tiger Moths from a nearby airfield relatively low over 'our' airfield. A member who owns and flies a Cesna himself went to visit him to persuade him to fly round rather than over us but got short shrift (we're only playing with toys!) so applied for and got a permanent NoTAM for, I think, 2000'.

He's since either moved elsewhere or simply stopped flying so I don't know if the NoTAM is still in force. There were a few full size aircraft flying of one of the other runways until a couple of years ago and I chatted to one of them who also wasn't very keen on the attitude of the Tiger Moth flyer.

It was a pity really because it was nice to see the Tiggies but not when they were a bit too low.

Geoff

Before we all pile in and apply for any exceptions, it would be nice to have the BMFA view.

I estimate there are possibly in the region of 600 clubs in the BMFA, without Scotland or slope fliers, how would the CAA react to that volume of applications?

Posted by Erfolg on 12/06/2018 20:06:20:

Before we all pile in and apply for any exceptions, it would be nice to have the BMFA view.

I estimate there are possibly in the region of 600 clubs in the BMFA, without Scotland or slope fliers, how would the CAA react to that volume of applications?

The CAA reaction to receiving 600+ applications might be to issue a general exception for all registered model flying clubs, rather than processing each one individually.

As I understand the situation, we will shortly, probably in November be required to register? take a test?

It is not that far to the end of the year, dos the BMFA have any knowledge of what will be involved, with respect to both apparent requirements?

Again the BMFA could be publicly, say something, even if it is to say, they are working with the CAA or whoever on both issues. Perhaps some pointers as to what could be registered, the point of registration, or what content within the test could be envisaged.

There is a lot issues i am sure the BMFA could enlighten its membership, rather than a cliff edge appearing, where clubs and members wonder what they should and can do.

The issue of the 400 foot mean while rumbles on, at club and member level.

Posted by Steve J on 12/06/2018 18:29:06:
Posted by cymaz on 12/06/2018 18:15:49:

a simple step by step guide

How simple do you want?

As it stands, from the 30th July, small unmanned aircraft are restricted to 400ft except where otherwise agreed by the CAA and from the 30th November, you have to be registered with the CAA and have passed a competency test to fly a SUA over 250g.

Steve

Registration is required after November 2019 not 2018. (Not quite what one expects)

Ray

Posted by Erfolg on 12/06/2018 22:01:22:

Again the BMFA could be publicly, say something, even if it is to say, they are working with the CAA or whoever on both issues. Perhaps some pointers as to what could be registered, the point of registration, or what content within the test could be envisaged.

There is a lot issues i am sure the BMFA could enlighten its membership, rather than a cliff edge appearing, where clubs and members wonder what they should and can do.

Erfolg, and others who may believe that the BMFA has been silent on this, have you chosen to register on the BMFA website for their News bulletins? Take a look at this one which was posted on the 30th May 2018 and which sets out what the BMFA is doing right now. If you scroll down to the News posted on 8th Feb 2018 you will also find a summary of where we are and how we arrived there.

To an earlier comment about drones being quadcopters, you really have not been listening to the news for many years otherwise you would realise that "killer" drones (aka Predator and then Reaper) have been operational in war zones for many years. A very large drone, the Northrop Grumman Global Hawk, is being used for both military and civilian tasks and flies at 65,000 ft with a duration of 30 hours. They are all drones under the current legislation and can currently only be flown when the civilian airspace is closed by NOTAM or confined to military range airspace or flown in military operations in war zones where they are kept under full control using radar and GPS as the controllers know where all the other air assets are. This is not the case envisaged by these new regulations. So, I'm afraid, good sir, we are all flying drones these days whatever type of model aircraft we fly.

Posted by john stones 1 on 12/06/2018 22:05:51:

Where is this Cliff edge ? I'd like to jump off it. crook

I once successfully tried jumping off on the southern end of the Malverns and can't recommend it!

My wife and I wended our way up what appeared to be a sheep track to the ridgeway track, which then ran between the tops of two quarry faces. One quarry was very large and a sheer 700 feet or so the other not quite so imposing.

At this point our day was ruined, when I rediscovered my vertigo and jumped off... the horse that I was riding at the time.☺ So now I have to choose my slope soaring sites carefully.

Yes perhaps we need some humour to lighten up this subject.