RCM&E – The Inside Story

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

As you can probably imagine the whole magazine handover ‘thing’ is a bit of a trying time but it seems to have gone quite smoothly and the August cover is currently speeding through the press having had a small design tweak. Stitching it together was a very surreal experience after three years away but one I thoroughly enjoyed. On with the next, then, and to stop David seizing up or enjoying himself he was dispatched to meet our Tony for a photo shoot with the next Nijhuis duo – a Cold War dogfight double. They flew beautifully so it looks as if publication (in the Special Issue) is almost assured. There’s plenty of power and with an AEO 50mm fan, 3S 1500mAh Li-Po and no undercart, these are eminently affordable, practical little models. You’ve got to hand it to him…

pic.5.jpg

pic.6.jpg

pic.7.jpg

Edited By Graham Ashby (Editor) on 28/06/2018 19:01:28

Up with the larks this morning to join the Tony Nijhuis Designs ‘Development & Testing Department’ (that’ll be Tony), for the maiden flight of the prototype Concorde. Now, I don’t know if it’s just me but models of Concorde always look as if they’re a Dutch Roll waiting for the pickle. Anyway, to cut a long story short, she flew a treat on four 50mm fans. There’s still work to be done but TN was suitably encouraged by the flight so development continues. Watch this space.

pic.8.jpg

pic.9.jpg

Edited By Graham Ashby (Editor) on 29/06/2018 12:52:54

I take it that it went up from that patch on those small wheels? Are the fans 5 or 11 blade and 3 or 4S? My TN Vulcan flew great from Barkston but have yet to try it again from very short grass. Have started to convert two of the fans to 11 blade but it is not easy and has been put to one side for a (long) while.

I just do not know how he finds the time and inspiration for all these `iffy` projects.

Posted by Graham Ashby (Editor) on 09/06/2018 22:22:37:

Posted by Fun Flyer on 08/06/2018 23:16:38:
Posted by i12fly on 08/06/2018 21:43:40:

As one of Peter's disciples (built 3 of his designs and planning the next), I'd really like to know what this latest project is....

Yes indeed. The suspense is just too much. The only thing I can rule out is an electric helicopter!! But then again you never know. Please give us even a hint.

Well chaps, I'm happy to tell you but it ought to come from Peter just in case he has second thoughts.

Just saw this posting. Must bookmark this thread.

What next? Well GRaham has on file "Little MIss Honky Tonk for 48 to .52 four strokes

honky tonk flt 115.jpg

Very aerobatic but also docile so you can stooge around in a relaxing manner or open the taps and really throw it around.

Then we have "The Ohmen" 47" span for electric power. again, very aerobatic but not terrifying

dscf4001.jpg

ohmen2.jpg

ohmen1.jpg

As for the "When" that is not up to me.

Also got a project on the drawing board but it is diabolical to design, The MAK 15 MP. You might have to wait a looooong time for that one

• 2 months later...

We've been missing the RCM&E fly-ins that the dedicated Greenacres lads and lasses used to run for us a few years back so we're planning another for 2019, but this time at BMFA Buckminster. With this in mind a small RCM&E contingent (that’ll be me and Beth) met with Manny on site for a recce. The verdict? It's absolutely perfect. We were massively impressed with the facilities and have started to get quite excited about the prospect of an event. Love the flying site, adore the hangar for evening gatherings and casual indoor flying, and the location is spot on. Anyway, we're hoping to finalise dates in the next week or two and will let you know as soon as we have something firmed up. Stay tuned.

Great idea.

Having just come back from Much Marcle and enjoying watching some of the bigger show models the thought of a couple of days both watching and flying typical club stuff is hugely appealing.

Don't want to sound a grump but if the proposed event could somehow lose the "Show Model/Large 3D" component it will be on my list of activities next year.