FCC proposes $2.8m fine against Hobbyking for marketing non-compliant drone transmitters

Posted by Graham Davies 3 on 05/08/2020 23:04:28:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 05/08/2020 18:22:00:
Posted by Erfolg on 05/08/2020 18:04:01:

Increasingly it is a software update or change that is required to modify the performance of equipment, rather than a soldering iron. I have read this is the case with the Spektum Tx.

Increasingly, the EU being an example, the use of regulations are a non-tariff barriers to importation.

I understand within the EU (I also expect the UK) the importer must ensure compliance with regulations. That in itself does not ensure you using a product is safe from prosecution, you are responsible for compliance of the equipment performance (such as a Tx).

It has high lighted many times on this forum, anything you sell in the EU must comply and show a CE mark (if appropriate). Yet I have read that you can legally buy Wi-Fi boosters (above permitted levels), yet the out put can be illegal. Many things are not as clear cut as I would like.

Now in the USA, who knows?

Bear in mind that the EU 'CE' process is self-certified by the manufacturer and is not checked by anyone else. Therefore it is meaningless.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 05/08/2020 18:30:37

Sorry Richard, that's not entirely true. Whilst CE is self certified by the manufacturer, it must be backed up by a technical file. CE is a good, regulated mechanism to ensure compliance to relevant standards. It is entirely reasonable for consumers to expect manufacturers, importers and distributors to comply.

Good, reliable EU distributors will not place non compliant goods on the market. The issue is we are all in a 'race for the bottom' and will go for the slowest price regardless of the implication. This means we buy the cheapest Chinese product from the cheapest Chinese distributor. Whilst this does not necessarily mean poor quality, it does mean that your quality or compliance is not regulated. If the consumer takes this route, you have to be careful what you wish for...

The same guys who decide to just put the sticker on can easily produce some 'technical' mumbo-jumbo to 'prove' the article is ok.

CE marking is just another EU non-tariff barrier. One that doesn't even work as the whole thing,, is not checked by any 'official' body.

And the sticker has become so wide ranging in its scope that official testing is impossible, though some scam companies have sprung up who say they will do the certifying process for you,

The EU does this sort of meaningless nonsense all the time. Here' a 'reverse' example. Because burning wood for heat is very popular in eastern EU countries the EU officials recently 'deemed' that wood does not emit any carbon when it is burnt.

Posted by Tony Richardson on 06/08/2020 03:40:03:

Simon Chaddock, you must be a golfer, you just scored a hole in one with that statement..

Spot on. And it's not just China.

Who got fined for fiddling car pollution? VW and Fiat. Who didn't get investigated, let alone fined? Ford and GM.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 06/08/2020 03:51:46

Posted by Barrie Lever on 06/08/2020 09:45:48:

Steve

You are correct there and I do notice some more enlightened people altering their purchase decisions.

We don't need to stop importing from China, just greatly reduce the unequal trade balance and keep them in check on regulatory conformance which is really what this whole thread is about.

I would prefer to be a free and poor man rather than be a minion dictated to by the CPC.

B.

Trade is now global whether we like it not. I do like it. Though as much Chinese stuff is of doubtful quality I rarely buy it and also look to avoid 'hidden' though perfectly legitimate (ie not fake Chinese rip offs) Chinese manufacture with European and US names where the European/US manufacturer has contracted manufacture to China but charges Western prices.

However, as the totally independently written book 'Well Made in America' about quality using Harley-Davidson after its management buyout and successful revival  in the 1980s as the core of the book, has been standard reading for years where I work, I did buy two brand new  Harleys. I was also influenced by though very expensive they are made by people who are paid real wages.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 06/08/2020 15:05:52

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 06/08/2020 15:01:20:
, I did buy two brand new Harleys. I was also influenced by though very expensive they are made by people who are paid real wages.

Hopefully not the ones that they manufacture in India then!!

Kim

Posted by Kim Taylor on 06/08/2020 18:25:29:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 06/08/2020 15:01:20:
, I did buy two brand new Harleys. I was also influenced by though very expensive they are made by people who are paid real wages.

Hopefully not the ones that they manufacture in India then!!

Kim

No

I don't think the Indian made models are very successful being little different from Japanese-made mid size 'cruiser' type bikes..

Harley has problems (yet again). The big ones, though far more technically advanced than they appear and brilliant at what they are designed to do, sell to a declining and ageing customer set, myself included, and are too expensive for anyone except the 'dedicated'.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 06/08/2020 18:46:05