Imax B6

trebor

Posted by john stones 1 on 02/07/2018 22:33:54:

ebay, I use these, been good and run silent.

Sorry John, but I would not be recommending that as a good PSU to use in this application.

This is a desktop PSU (and not a very good one at that judging from the feedback it receives from your Amazon link and Tomshardware.com). While it claims to be rated at 750 Watts you should note that that is the total power it is (possibly) capable of supplying and as it has +3v3, +5v, -12v and +5vsb otputs as well as the +12v one. The actual limit on this particular supply at +12v is 444Watts, or 37 Amps. This may, of course, be plenty for your charging requirements but it is worth bearing in mind that some desktop PSU's require some load to be placed on the +5v line in order to properly function ie regulate the voltages properly.

A far, far better bet is a second hand server power supply as indicated earlier as these are designed and built to a much higher spec, will be an order of magnitude more reliable than a cheap desktop PSU and are designed to supply just the +12v

Advert

Posted by MaL on 03/07/2018 11:42:43:

Sorry John, but I would not be recommending that as a good PSU to use in this application.

This is a desktop PSU (and not a very good one at that judging from the feedback it receives from your Amazon link and Tomshardware.com). While it claims to be rated at 750 Watts you should note that that is the total power it is (possibly) capable of supplying and as it has +3v3, +5v, -12v and +5vsb otputs as well as the +12v one. The actual limit on this particular supply at +12v is 444Watts, or 37 Amps. This may, of course, be plenty for your charging requirements but it is worth bearing in mind that some desktop PSU's require some load to be placed on the +5v line in order to properly function ie regulate the voltages properly.

A far, far better bet is a second hand server power supply as indicated earlier as these are designed and built to a much higher spec, will be an order of magnitude more reliable than a cheap desktop PSU and are designed to supply just the +12v

Well I stand suitably chastised, I'll take my cheap psu n go charge a lipo for tomorrow, I know how Penny feels now. face 1

Posted by john stones 1 on 03/07/2018 11:58:56:
Posted by MaL on 03/07/2018 11:42:43:

Well I stand suitably chastised, I'll take my cheap psu n go charge a lipo for tomorrow, I know how Penny feels now. face 1

I'm not chastising you John.. I just stated I wouldn't recommend that power supply and outlined why.....