The jeti DS12.

Advert

Hi Sonny, if you are on Facebook I highly recommend the jeti - UK RC User Group. You can get excellent support there.

I bought a Jeti DS-14 this March after being a happy Futaba and Hitec user for decades but needing more functionality. It's been easy to use so far and I know it will do everything I want of it. I bet you won't regret it!

• 2 months later...

Yes, one of the features of new Jeti products is that they are always late! I take this as a good sign that the engineers are able to hold back a product until they are really happy with it rather than them being released prematurely just to honour a rash marketing promise. But, as a retired engineer, I must admit to some bias!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good for you Sonny, you won’t regret either the 12 or the 10, although with only a circa £90 difference between the 10s and the 12s I would go for the latter, mainly due to the screen position plus internal aerial. The other great thing with going FrSky is the extremely good value for money RXs plus telemetry goodies.

If I were buying now I'd go for the X10. in it's favour are smaller, lighter, better battery system following comments on that used in the X12, TWO internal aerials and I find I hardly need the screen as telemetry and timers can be read out during flights so it's position is not an issue. The X12 does come in a very nice case though.

I'll second the X10 recommendation. It's smaller and lighter and other than having the screen at the bottom instead of the top like the X12, it seems to be the preferred choice these days.

There's a learning curve for whatever system you use. I use Jeti for helicopters (mainly for the integration with a number of the flybarless controllers on the market) and the Horus for planes.

One nice aspect of the Horus is that it comes with the FrSky operating system which I'd say is as easy to use as the Jeti and seems to do everything you need or you can use OpenTx on it. I elected to go the OpenTx route because of the flexibility and the huge amount of support that can be found with a Google search. One aspect of OpenTx I like is the Companion software you can use on the PC to do the model configuration and simulation before loading it to the radio (you can of course just use the radio instead if you prefer).

I’ll second the support for the Horus 10. I have had mine a couple of months now and i love it. The Horus OS is easy to use, very versatile and I have found no reason yet to go down the open TX route. I loaded up the companion software and played with open TX on my Mac before purchasing so I was prepared to go that way but as I say I am really happy with the inbuilt OS. The ability to record/program your own audio warnings for almost anything you might need obviates the need for continually checking of the screen display. Feels like quality kit to me.

Tim