Wot 4 Foam E installation

Dave Hess

I have a DX7S and AR7010 receiver with satellite. There isn't a lot of room for the installation. At first, I stuffed the satellite in front of the servos and the main receiver at the front of the compartment. A range check gave glitching at about 30 ft or less. I then put the two together at the front, which was a lot better, giving glitch-free up to about 50 feet.

The first flight was OK, but I kept the plane fairly close. During the second flight, it glitched at when it was further away, but about half as far as I'd normally fly.

I've read a lot of instructions on how to install these things, but there simply are not enough options regarding space to do it like suggested. Have I got the wrong system for this particular plane, or is there a solution?

Advert

the satellite of an AR7010 would mount quite nicely vertically on the rear bulkhead, behind the servos, of the radio compartment of the foam-e wot4. the main Rx could go on the floor at the front of the compartment as you might conventionally expect.

other than that, make sure the antenna wires are at right angles to each other & there's nothing masking the signal.

if you still can't get it set up glitch-free in the model when range-testing at 75', I'd try taking the Rx out of the model & testing it. have you used it successfully in other models? if not, I'd be inclined to give the shop you bought it from a call & see if you can get a replacement.

in any case, I wouldn't fly again until I'd done a glitch-free range test at 75'.

apropos of nothing, I smashed up two foam-e wot4's on Spektrum/Orange through radio gremlins before switching to FrSky ...

Right, I tried what was suggested and the range went down to about 20ft in normal transmit mode (not range check!).

The satellite receiver has two LEDs in the side. One was mainly on red, but switched off for about 1 second at random times. Sometimes it stayed on for say 10 secs before a short off, then 3 secs, then 6 secs or any other random time up to 10 secs. here's what it looks like. Any ideas what's wrong!

spectrum rx.jpg

Edited By Dave Hess on 20/08/2018 17:11:41

Posted by Dave Hess on 20/08/2018 17:08:24:

Right, I tried what was suggested and the range went down to about 20ft in normal transmit mode (not range check!).

The satellite receiver has two LEDs in the side. One was mainly on red, but switched off for about 1 second at random times. Sometimes it stayed on for say 10 secs before a short off, then 3 secs, then 6 secs or any other random time up to 10 secs. here's what it looks like. Any ideas what's wrong!

Dave, have PM you earlier about short range Spectrum.

Genuine Spekrum Rx installed just as in the photo works well full range, though as suggested, a smaller Rx would do the job too

On my DX8 in range check mode you need 30 paces of solid connection if you don't them you have a problem that needs to be sorted. Could be installation or orientation of the receiver and/or satellite, 20 feet range when not in range check mode is bad news. As this is a used set from eBay I think you need to send it off to Als hobbies to get checked out , pretty sure they are the approved spektrum service dealer.

Best of luck,

Paul.

We had lots of problems with Spektrum txs and Lemon rxs this summer, resulting in txs going to Germany for testing, Spektrum rxs going into I/c planes and a wholesale migration to Jeti in one instance. After much telemetry frame counting, some flawed rx installations we improved and strict range testing, 30m, I wouldn’t risk what you’re describing.

I wonder if there was a good reason why it was sold?