Panic bipe servo advice

john s

I have a panic biplane 48" kit on order from Avicraft that I'm unusually exited about! I remember them from years ago and what fun they were to watch.

I managed to buy a new Saito 82b on Ebay for a really good price that I think will suit the plane nicely.

So now I'm looking for servos, I would like to put 4 servos in the wings one for each aileron to make assembly/disassembly easier, I'm thinking along the lines of smaller and lighter than standard size servos but with decent torque and speed.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be happy to read them, there's an awful lot of servos out there!

john.

Advert

Personally I would stick with the standard arrangement of 2 wing servos, the carbon tube and ball joints worked really well for me. Using four servos just means extra electrical connections each time you put it together, I feel the ball joints are quicker/easier than fiddling about just under the top wing like I do on my 4 wing servo Puppeteer. I used standard Futaba 3001s, but appreciate there are better servos out there now. Great plane, wish I'd not sold mine now.

Posted by John Duncker on 18/08/2018 23:18:45:

Anything from a Ripmax SD200 up will do on the ailerons.

Get something with a bit of extra grunt on the rudder if you want to knife edge. Digital is better too. I think I used a Futaba 3152 on mine.

I have an Align ds510m lined up for the rudder, not quite as powerful as the F 3152 but hopefully good enough and again 30g in weight, do you think it will do the job?

Specifications:
Stall torque: 3.7kg.cm(4.8V) 4.6kg.cm(6.0V)
Motion speed: 0.13sec/60°(4.8V) 0.11sec/60°(6.0V)
Rating voltage: DC 4.8-6V
Temperature range: -20°C~+60°C
Dimension: 35x15x29.2mm
Weight: 29.0g

john

Edited By john s on 18/08/2018 23:51:48

A Panic with 4 aileron servos can be good fun - set up mixes for spoileron on one wing and flapperon on the other so each wing goes opposite to the other for the mother of all crow brakes. Another mix is all 4 ailerons linked to the elevator for looping almost in it's own length. I never got round to coupling ailerons to rudder to try using the top wing ailerons as airbrakes in knife edge but I bet it would work to tighten knife edge loops.

Hi John, just a thought.

I usually fly helicopters, where the servos tend to have a hard time. Recently my friends and I have been having success with the JX range from China.

The one that immediately springs to mind for you is the JX PDI-2506MG:

http://www.jx-servo.com/english/Product/368715038.html

This is a mini size, so a little smaller than standard, and is designed for swash use on 500 size models.
Metal gear, digital, coreless, all the good stuff. Specs are better than the HS225, and also the 3001/HS422 which would be the general use standard size.

As regards the rudder, I think torque would be more important than speed, so how about this from the same range:

https://www.banggood.com/JX-PDI-6221MG-20KG-Large-Torque-Digital-Coreless-Servo-For-RC-Model-p-973947.html?gmcCountry=GB&currency=GBP&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_ods&utm_content=heath&utm_campaign=pla-airplane-gb-pc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8sWLuLr53AIVC7DtCh2vXgR_EAQYASABEgLty_D_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

Not the fastest in the world, but enough torque to really scare the horses. My go-to servo for 600 size and up.

These are servos I have had good results with, but only a suggestion.

As always, your call

Jeff

Thanks for all suggestions I've a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for now, the rudder will get a F 3152 or equivalent similar for elevator, for ailerons I'll probably go for the H 225s, nice size and I have a few of the little blue alloy servo arms going spare.

Think I'll still go for 4 aileron servos so that I have the option of trying out Bob's ideas.

I was looking at the JX PDI-2506MG on the Banggood site and there is a cautionary note

"It is not suitable for the transmitter that can not set up pulse width.(like RC car or RC boat)"

Anyone know what this means?

The servo spec is impressive, I guess the ones on Ebay for a tenner are fakes!

john

Hi John

I guess we've all had a laugh at chinese to english translations, but this one's got me beat. Only thing I can think of is that 'pulse width' controls the servo throw.

Could mean not to use with a transmitter which does not have atv, although it's still wrong. It would work ok but there would be no means of adjusting servo throw.

All I know is that I put a set in a 500 fbl helicopter and they work fine.

Don't think a Panic could be described as either a car or a boat, so I would say you're good to go.

Not sure about the e-bay ones being fake, but I had a look through and couldn't find any supplier I recognised.

I have dealt with Bangood many times and they're good people, but another one I deal with is Aliexpress, and they can do the servos a bit cheaper:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JX-PDI-2506MG-25g-Metal-Gear-digital-coreless-servo/32629896989.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.c5082e0eXXkdiv

They may take a bit longer to ship, but you're saving £3 per servo.

Your call

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I'll order a set from Banggood I've used them before and been happy with the service, plus the bigggy for me is their post system, if you pay a wee bit extra the delivery is v good from China typically 6-9 days.

Bit difficult to categorise the Panic smiley

john

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just an update for anyone thinking of buying one!

The kit was an enjoyable build all the laser cut parts fitting together nicely, the wood selection is good with no warps or twists to deal with, the laser cutting is clean and accurate.

I used the servos Jeff recommended for the ailerons the JX PDI-2506MG they are fast and centre well.

I've only flown it a couple of times but already like the way it flies with the Saito 82 loads of power yet not feeling over powered or heavy and floats around at low throttle nicely.

All in all a great fun plane to build and fly.

John.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 19/08/2018 12:35:49:

A Panic with 4 aileron servos can be good fun - set up mixes for spoileron on one wing and flapperon on the other so each wing goes opposite to the other for the mother of all crow brakes. Another mix is all 4 ailerons linked to the elevator for looping almost in it's own length. I never got round to coupling ailerons to rudder to try using the top wing ailerons as airbrakes in knife edge but I bet it would work to tighten knife edge loops.

I not far from servo installation. I'm putting in 4 off 20 gram Corona HV servos in the wings. Does it matter which wing goes down. I would think top down, bottom up, to trap the airflow in the interwing area, but open to suggestions.