Hello

John Burrows

Hello, I am returning to model flying (again) after a 5 year break, started out with single channel push button in the late 60's.....Skyleader 6 channel in the 70's (remember those??) etc...

I had a lot of fun with my JR PCM9X a few years ago and now would like to move on to 2.4 Ghz, BUT.. what a nightmare!!

Nothing seems to work together and I am begining to wonder if it is really worth the hassle.

I don't feel inclined to spend a huge amount of money on a new system, and I like the sticks on my JR. My boss has lent me a Futaba but I really don't like the feel of it and want to use my JR by changing the TX module to a 2.4 Ghz. Got me a FR-Sky module that seems to be OK but I can't get it to bind with the RX. (also FR-Sky and on paper should work)

Whatever happened to plug and play?

Advert

Hi John,

Welcome back to our hobby.

I have recently moved from a JR PCM9X which had a 2.4 module which worked on Spektrum DSM2 and DSMX receivers. However, I was concerned about it after losing a few models and went over to a Spektrum DX9 which only works with DSMX receivers not had any issues since.

I'm affriad the days of mix and match with receivers anf TX's has gone.

Al's hobbies still sells them I believe.

Regards

Robert

hello and welcome from me john,don't be put off by the current tech...its much more easier nower days than times past. Have a look at what other people are using for TX/RX's, the equip today is really easy to use and set up as is the selection of models. Regards your FR-Sky gear I don't use or know much about -but there are lots of users on the forum here who will advise you...have fun.

ken anderson...ne...1.... welcome dept.

Posted by John Burrows on 30/08/2018 20:07:23:

I had a lot of fun with my JR PCM9X a few years ago and now would like to move on to 2.4 Ghz, BUT.. what a nightmare!!

Nothing seems to work together and I am begining to wonder if it is really worth the hassle.

I don't feel inclined to spend a huge amount of money on a new system, and I like the sticks on my JR. My boss has lent me a Futaba but I really don't like the feel of it and want to use my JR by changing the TX module to a 2.4 Ghz. Got me a FR-Sky module that seems to be OK but I can't get it to bind with the RX. (also FR-Sky and on paper should work)

Whatever happened to plug and play?

Welcome to the club. I'm in a similar situation to you, but I'm learning fast, thanks to the help from the internet and especially this forum. I've had exactly the sort of problems that you've described.

2.4ghz is extremely complicated compared with the old 35 mhz. There's loads of compatibility issues waiting to bite you. The best is to buy a transmitter and receiver as a set, then you know that they're going to work together.

I'll take a guess that your issue is that you bought the non-Euro transmitter module and a Euro receiver. You can probably adjust either of them by flashing the firmware. If you show us exactly what you have and where you got them from, we can probably help.

PS. You need to be an FMR because you're going to be burried under acronyms.

Edited By Dave Hess on 02/09/2018 09:42:06

Hi All,

Many thanks for your replies, I am using a FR-Sky XJT module with EU LBT firmware, and at this time have a V8FR-II Rx, all ACCST, all new. (got a D4R-II coming next week as that was the FR-Sky suggestion.

Switches are set correctly on the Tx module, Tx is set to PPM, The LED on the TX module comes on OK and it Seems to be doing what it supposed to....

I am in Redditch in Worcestershire, any more suggestions??

Edited By John Burrows on 02/09/2018 11:22:41

You need to link the channel 1 and 2 outputs of the Rx, then power it on. I think the LEDs should not be flashing at this stage.
With the module on the Tx with SW1 on and SW2 off, power on while holding the bind button pressed. The red led should be flashing and the module beeping.
The bind to the Rx should then take place, and the Rx LED(s) should then flash to indicate this has happened.

Now power both Tx and Rx off, then back on, you should then have control.

Mike

Hi All,

Just tried it again, with the jumper in place and it has worked, not sure why as I haven't done anything different, switches in the same position etc.... But it seems OK.

Will try a range check to confirm it but the Rx is showing a green LED (for the first time) and it works OK on the bench..

Result!!

Thanks everybody, for your support.

John

Posted by john stones 1 on 02/09/2018 12:22:39:

XJT..can support can support V+D rx's If flashed with non EU firmware, is it this problem ?

I think that is incorrect. The XJT supports 'D' and V-II" receivers whether it has EU LBT firmware or international firmware, I just double checked by binding a LBT XJT to a D8R-II.

Where there may be a confusion is on FrSky transmitters running openTx (and possibly FrOS), if the Tx itself (not the module) has EU firmware, then the 'D' option is not available for selection in the menus.

Mike

John, the V series receiver that you have defaults to an older FrSky protocol, binding with the jumper sets it to the D8 protocol that can talk to your module. It's really down to the rapid rate of development of 2.4GHz systems which means that even within any one manufacturers products there can be compatability issues between different generations. If you stick with D or X series receivers you should be ok.

Mike, doesn't LBT only affect D16 protocol use?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 02/09/2018 13:13:06

I'm so glad that my system just wants a shorting plug applied before power up to any of the various receivers I've bought (or could have bought) since adopting it in 2009, to bind them. All these receivers have worked seamlessly with a transmitter module and then with a dedicated transmitter through various evolutions of software to both improve its capabilities and comply with changing standards. I can only look at some of the efforts by other manufacturers to tie their users into knots with a little detached amusement.

Posted by Dave Hess on 02/09/2018 09:38:30:

PS. You need to be an FMR because you're going to be burried under acronyms.

BTW, WTH is an FMR?

These TLAs are a real pain at times. Possibilities I could find in a Google search included Friends of the Molalla River which seemed as close as any of the other 36 suggestions shown:

Copyright 1988-2018 AcronymFinder.com, All rights reserved.

Acronym Definition
FMR Former (government official title)
FMR Fair Market Rents (HUD)
FMR Friends of the Mississippi River (watershed conservancy)
FMR Financial Management Regulation
FMR False Match Rate (biometrics)
FMR Federal Management Regulations
FMR Field Metabolic Rate
FMR Field Marketing Representative
FMR Foundation for Medical Research
FMR Focused Medical Review
FMR Follow Me Roaming (communications)
FMR Fragile Mental Retardation
FMR Fixed Mesh Refinement
FMR Fully Medically Ready
FMR Fidelity Management and Research Corporation
FMR Field Modification Request
FMR Ferro-Magnetic Resonance
FMR Foundation for Melanoma Research
FMR Feature Modification Request
FMR Florence Military Reservation (Florence, Arizona)
FMR Field Material Handling Robot
FMR Frequency Modulated Radar
FMR Functional Management Review
FMR Federal Mineral Royalty
FMR Friend, Moloney and Rauscher (viruses)
FMR Fleet Material Readiness
FMR Funds Management Record
FMR Force Mix Ratio
FMR Field Modification Report
FMR Fire Master Record (insurance)
FMR Friends of the Molalla River (Oregon, USA)
FMR Field and Mobile Robotics
FMR File Master Record
FMR Financial Management Report/Review
FMR Forward Maintenance and Repair
FMR Fleet Modernization Request
FMR Force Modernization Report
FMR Fresh Molten Rock
FMR Floodwood Mountain Reservation (Lake Clear, NY)
FMR Face Melting Records (UK)
FMR Family Medicine Residency (various organizations)

- so after a little cogitation, the best guess I can come up with is Flippin' Mind Reader...?

Edited By Martin Harris on 02/09/2018 23:35:39