Turnigy SK3 3536 1050 rpm/v current rating confusion

Geoff S

I have a Turnigy SK3 3536 1050 rpm/v motor which is a survivor from the sad write off of my Fugly. I'm thinking of acquiring a Max Thrust Ruckus (airframe only) and I think this may suit. I was checking its max current rating on the HK site and was surprised to find 2 motors with that designation with different current ratings (and prices) which I thought a bit odd.

SK3 3536 1050 rpm/volt #1

SK3 3536 1050 rpm/volt #2

Not sure which one mine is but somewhat puzzled. I have a 50 amp esc so I'll probably go with an 11x6 prop as a 12x6 I checked drew 42 amps wot.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 29/09/2018 18:17:25

IMHO it could be a number of reasons

• Different batch from the manufacturer slight change in spec
  • Different version (the Prodrive range changed version and the spec's changed, but it was hard to see in the sale blurb, oh and the mounting spacing changed sad
  • For the same motor some suppliers independently test (not in this case admittedly) and their own results are different to the manufacturers spec

Do you really need the 40A continuously as opposed to 34A? if you are flying (just) with that sort of margin then it might be worth a recalculation!

Just had a look at the Rucus and Century use the little RIOT pancake motor.. I don't think you will have an issue. Install everything and do a few power tests with different props to get a prop pulling 32A and fly.

Edited By Chris Walby on 30/09/2018 08:16:35

Chris, it's not a problem about whether or not the motor is adequate. I'm sure it will be fine on an 11x6 (35 amps). It just seems strange that there are 2 quite different specs for what is presunably the same motor. I find quite often that motor data is in adequate to make sensible decisions. According to my records I'd assumed it was 34 amps maximum when I set it up so I was surprised to find the difference. Oddly the resistance is the same for both motors so perhaps it's a clerical error?

Geoff