Chiltern Models

Hello, I was looking for a winter project and a good friend of mine has given me a load of balsa in a rotten box and a very old Glass fuselage full of spiders etc. I have a roll of drawings and the original manual as photographed previously on this forum. Does anybody have any detailed photos of a completed model? 
Regards

Alistair

Advert

This is interesting. I too have the glassfibre version kit, bought at one of the Sandown Park shows in probably 1994.

My plan is exactly as in Neil's photo above, it only shows the 'built-up' fuselage version. The instruction booklet covers both versions and as Alan P. says has former outlines for the g/f version near the back but not full size. These formers are all numbered 'FF...' (the built-up formers are also shown, numbered 'FT...' and 'FB...').

I think mine was one of the earliest g/f fuselage version kits and it looks like John Wills (the owner of Chiltern Models) hadn't at that time produced a separate plan for the g/f fuselage, but instead just included the built-up plan.

The instructions refer to the fuselage former installation and refer to the plan but the plan makes no mention of any 'FF...' formers.

As Alan G.'s plan shows the correct positioning for the formers in the g/f version I assume that it was issued a bit later. Mine says copyright 1993 down the bottom RHS by the way.

The box for mine says that the kit was available in both versions at the same time. I also have a copy of BMFA News, December 1994, in which Simon Delaney had started a review of the model. He gives the prices as £143 for the built-up version and £155 for g/f. I haven't found any subsequent issues unfortunately.

Chiltern also made a static scale 5-bladed prop kit at the time which looked very impressive. Hollow g/f blades if I recall correctly.

Brian.

I had two of them!!

One glass Fuz and one built up. I hated them and they ended up on the bonfire!

Bonfire

I got them in a job lot, really got my fingers burnt, they flew awful and needed 3lb of lead in the nose to achieve the CofG all memories have been erased. I think I still have the retracts somewhere.

Hope yours is better.

• Like 1