Decided on 60cc aircraft expressly designed for electric flight

Next I loose fitted the aileron servos and added the extension leads. Helpfully, there is a tube within the wing to thread the leads down to the root. As it turned out it wasn't so helpful after all at the safety joining clips were too big to thread down the tube! So plan B was to heat shrink a piece of tube over the join.

p1050406.jpg

p1050407.jpg

p1050408.jpg

Next job will be to glue in the suppled horns to all working surfaces. The manual suggests 1.5" aluminium servo arms for the ailerons and 2" for the elevators. The rudder for a pull-pull set up needs a 4" arm.

Incidentally, there is a weight penalty using the metal cased servos I chose as they are 84g a piece, while plastic cased servos are nearer 60g a piece, nearly 0.8oz extra per servo in old money.

Thanks for the encouragement, gents. Will be taking it at a steady pace, but I hope to do a bit more this weekend.

Nigel, I agree. So far the quality shows through.

Rich, yes I was surprised. The old adage did cross my mind about if it looks too good to be true, it is! However, the reason for the reduction seemed quite plausible. I have attached them to my servo tester and they seem all to be fine so we will see.

Next to set about adding the elevator horns. The suggestion, which is good one, is that the film is cut around the base plate to allow decent glue adhesion. I use Gorilla Glue in all instances for this job. Much as I like epoxy it is a bit of pain to mix it up.

p1050412.jpg

I use the push rod loosely fixed to ensure the horn remains aligned whilst drying.

p1050413.jpg

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 27/10/2018 16:02:41

I did briefly toy with the idea of using the rudder servo in the tail slot specifically provided as an option making it a direct drive set up. I decided against it for two reasons. One being I would introduce more weight to one side of the fuselage which would have to be balanced up. Secondly, I didn't want to add anymore weight to the tail than is necessary.

p1050409.jpg

So the rudder servo will remain in middle of the fuselage as originally thought.

The rudder was less stressful with fewer hinges and was easily lined up and taped. Not sure why the photo is cock-eyed as it's the right way up in the desk top album prior to transferring to my MF album.

p1050427.jpg

I now need to wait for the aluminium servo arms and standoffs which are winging their way to me at this moment from Steve Webb Models. Next time I will go into a few thoughts on motor and ESC combination.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 29/10/2018 15:43:23

Time to get the old soldering out. 100 watt is going to be required I think. After some deliberation and not wishing to alter a winning combination, I went for the Dualsky 6000.8 V2 60cc equivalent motor. The ESC is the partner item from Dualsky which is in the Opto category given I am using a separate power source for the RX. I chose this combo because of using the same in my Corvus & Sbach 342

p1050428.jpg

All connectors from motor to ESC are provided and are of good quality, along with standoffs that fit perfectly for length. 63mm in this case

p1050429.jpg

p1050430.jpgThose all done.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 30/10/2018 16:24:22

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 30/10/2018 16:25:16

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 30/10/2018 16:25:47

I will try and fit the motor later this week.I had a bit of time to check out the motor fitting work. The kit is designed for the XPWR 60 cc and the motor mount hols are different to the Dualsky motor so I have had to draw a template ready for re-drilling the motor box wall.

p1050435.jpg

The hole marks on the motor box plate are quite a bit different, compared to the 71mm spacing on the Dualsky motor mount. Bit of a funny measurement, but that's what it is.

p1050436.jpg

In absence of the aluminium servo arms arriving, I thought I would mount the motor. Using the drawn template to match the motor mount I lined it up with the thrust lines printed on the motor box wall.

p1050437.jpg

The standoff bolts are M5 so I drilled suitable holes and mounted the standoffs.

p1050438.jpg

I am using washers both sides of the motor box wall to help avoid the wood being compressed when the bolts are tightened. It's always a nervous moment when fitting the motor, as you find out if the bolt hole centres were measured correctly!

p1050439.jpgI will of course use blue thread locker all round when everything is finalised.

Side thrust is built in and I happy to report the motor looks correctly positioned with cowl attached.

p1050441.jpg

A 4.5" spinner is called for which is not something I have, but no hurry for that anyway. The prop driver extends outside the cowl to the distance I want so happy with that.

p1050440.jpg

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 31/10/2018 16:41:20

Next the Opto ESC needs fitting. A bit of modification is required as I am not using manual recommended the Castle Creations unit.

p1050442.jpg

I was able to use the pre-drilled holes nearest the motor wall as can be seen.

p1050444.jpg

I made a ply support with M3 claw nuts and glued and screwed for safety. I did put some grommets on the bolts to alleviate vibration and also a thin piece of neoprene between ESC and airframe.

p1050443.jpg