Decided on 60cc aircraft expressly designed for electric flight

Thanks for your interest, John. I am always happy to receive suggestions, but so far no major issues. I just felt there is little by way of instruction on t’net for big electrics. I don’t want to start an I/C vs electric discussion, but I just like the pure simplicity of electric flight compared to my time as a petrol/glow head. That said anything over 60cc equivalent in electric is prohibitively costly whilst there is little noise reduction benefit for example with a 100cc electric equivalent.

Yes, gents I tend to agree and I can't say I was completely happy with the end result. It's a shame as the assembly itself is of very high quality and I wanted to use it, but I may have to have another think. I have plenty of replacement rod so I will first try the "curve" arrangement Rich suggests. I was surprised given the overall excellent kit fabrication that such a basic error was made.

Test fitted the U/C collars and they are fine without the need for adjustment.

p1050465.jpg

The axles are then attached with a locking nut and washers. I also used blue thread locker here.

p1050466.jpg

There is plenty of room on the spindles for the wheels and collets.

p1050467.jpg

I tend to position the grub screw facing towards the ground so that I can still access it if needs with the spat still on.

p1050468.jpgFinished using blue thread locker on the spat bolts.

Moving on to the rudder, it now time to thread the cables in the usual way ensuring the wire is threaded back on itself before crimping the ferrule.

p1050469.jpg

There is a preformed slot in the fuselage to feed the wire through. I just needed to cut the covering. Helpfully, there is a piece of plastic tube inside the fuselage to assist with threading the cable.

p1050470.jpg

I used a couple of pieces of thin balsa and bulldog clips to strap the rudder centrally prior to attaching the wires to the rudder servo.

p1050471.jpg

The wires are crossed in the fuselage prior to attaching to the rudder servo, as suggested in the manual. Hopefully, it can be seen in the picture. I will obviously be tidying all the servo cable up at a later stage! blush

p1050472.jpg

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 06/11/2018 16:36:16

Posted by Adrian Smith 1 on 06/11/2018 16:17:26:

I had rethink on the tail wheel steering rod as a result of the help received here. I found a slightly thicker piece of rod and formed it so:-

p1050463.jpg

Looks much better!

I agree, that’s much bette. My other suggestion was going to be a much lighter/thinner wire, and just let it bend naturally.

Now is the time to set up the radio and working surfaces. I am going to start with the elevators. The elevators are operated via the Ailervator programme using CH2 & 7 on my Futaba 14SG. I strapped the elevators similar to the rudder.

p1050473.jpg

I was a simple job to measure the distance between the bolt holes on the servo and elevator horns and adjust the push rod length and couplers. The couplers are threaded with one end threaded conventionally and the other counter threaded. This allows the rod length to be adjusted with a spanner without dismantling the whole assembly.

p1050474.jpg

That looks fine.

p1050475.jpg