Decided on 60cc aircraft expressly designed for electric flight

I decided to programme the Opto ESC using my Dualsky card.

p1050492.jpg

The only setting I altered was to change the timing to "High" as this is suggested for motors with an excess of 20 poles which my Dualsky motor has. 28 I think. The" medium" cutoff voltage is 3.2volts per cell which I left as per the original setting.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 09/11/2018 19:24:51

I attached battery velcro strips for whole length of the fuselage beyond the wing tube to give me latitude to position the batteries.

p1050496.jpg

Now to the CoG. The manual suggests that the CoG is aligned with the wing tube and that the aircraft is hung by the tube with main wings and hatch added.

p1050497.jpg

Hmmm .... this is going to be fun! surprise

Not that it means anything significant, but the fuselage without the wings is fairly well in balance. I don't have CF spinner yet so I left the prop covers on for a little bit of extra weight to allow for this.

p1050498.jpg

Using two 5000 mAh 6s lipos positioned bang up against the wing tube + the RX battery placed close to rudder servo the result is about right.

p1050499.jpg

However, using a couple of 6000 mAh in the same position, which I fly with too, along with the same position for the RX battery, the nose dips noticeably.

p1050500.jpg

I did have a look Rich, but the 6A lipos are quite long wouldn't fit across despite the spacious airframe. After giving it some thought I am going to put the RX battery beyond the rudder servo in a tray well out of the way of everything. It is no problem to add a longer lead from the switch to RX battery. I will just position the power packs a little bit further forward to compensate for the shift in weight distribution.

A bit stymied for the moment as I require at least a 120 mm M5 cap screw for the spinner to attach to the prop shaft's pre drilled hole. I only had 100 mm in my spares box. So step up Model Fixings. They sell 130 mm bolts in pairs which will do just fine. I decided as I am short of 5 minute epoxy I would put that on the order too. A few clicks and its done. In the meantime I can drill the spinner back plate for the motor bolts. I used the motor propeller plate as the template.

p1050508.jpg

All drilled and fitted for accuracy. The prop slots will be done when I receive the spinner bolts from MF in the post.

p1050509.jpg

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 13/11/2018 16:09:36

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 13/11/2018 16:09:57

I decided after some thought to start on the RX battery platform. I used liteply for this job and balsa reinforcing quadrant.

p1050503.jpg

I drill some lightening holes. Not sure if it will make any difference.

p1050505.jpgAll glued in with 30 minute epoxy. Decided to finish off with some black enamel and when this is dry I will attach the velcro strip and straps.

p1050506.jpg