Decided on 60cc aircraft expressly designed for electric flight

I don't know if it will apply with an electric installation but on the larger petrol models the carbon spinner backplates have been known to soften with heat causing prop bolts to loosen with drastic consequences. I got one for my 2.6 metre Edge but luckily had a spare aluminium backplate which luckily mated with the spinner body. This may not apply to your electric set up as I have no idea how much heat they generate, it's all looking great by the way your build logs always make for a good read

Ultymate. I have not so far had a problem with 3.5" spinners of the same type using an electric set up. Any heat generated by my electrics seems to disappear out the back end grills of the plane and don't seem to affect the front. Something to watch though. As a matter of course I tend to check the prop bolts every two flights.

Glad you like the build log. Appreciate your comments. Still a bit more to go. laugh

Next I finished off the RX battery tray and added velcro.

p1050516.jpg

Time to check the CoG again.

p1050521.jpgDespite what the photo appears to show, with 6.2amp lipos installed and the Rx positioned rearwards, the nose still dips downwards a tad. With the 5.0 amp lipos the plane is nearer in balance. I am thinking it will be better to just go fly with it and just see how she goes. First I have to attach the decals, but ran out of time today.

Next up I added the decals. Now I believe in the adage "less is more" and I applied this to adding the graphics.

p1050524.jpg

I really didn't see any more need to add additional decals. Next I will be waiting for decent weather to do the maiden flight. More when that occurs plus a video.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 16/11/2018 19:06:43

• 2 weeks later...

This morning arrived as expected with sparkling sunshine although a tad frosty.Pretty good conditions for the maiden flights. Well I have some good and bad news! The bad news is my GroPro didn't seem to like the cold and I couldn't get it to record for more than 6-8 seconds. sad Probably the battery although I did charge it up last night. I need to investigate that. Well I took a few stills instead before the flights.

p1050546.jpg

p1050547.jpg

p1050548.jpg

p1050549.jpg

The good news is the flight report is as follows:- I set the timer to 6 minutes to be safe and as there was virtually no wind the throttle wasn't going to work too hard to start with. Prior to take off I was concerned the CoG may be still a bit forward despite the two 6S 5amp lipos sitting directly in front of the wing tube and the RX battery to the rear of the rudder servo. I taxied a bit to see if there was more than the usual tail bounce, but seemed normal. No Expo was dialled in.

Nothing else for it, but Go... Go....Go!! Nice smooth take off and climb out along with a couple circuits. Into some rolls which were rather fast ...... She loops true and knife edge only requires tiny rudder inputs with no elevator or aileron corrections required. Seems impressive. Next into a climb, roll and stall turn. I notice she needs a flick of right rudder to keep a straight line in the climb. I tried a couple of upright flat spins, but she was not as flat as I like so need a bit of work there. Next into the dreaded bunt, but with bags of power and elevator authority it was as good as I wanted. Time went so quickly and the TX was vibrating at me to land. Well she behaves impeccably and half way down the strip after enough speed was bled off I reduced the throttle and flaring was a doddle. Not because I am that great, but more because, I think any way, the airframe and internals go to make a light for its size aircraft. Cracking piece of engineering. A few more flights are needed to really put her through her paces, but the signs are good. I realised after I landed that when I looked at the TX no trim changes had be required. Not had that before, very good. I also forgot to test the stall, but that fact I didn't makes me think she felt comfortable right from the off. The CoG seems about right where I have the batteries for normal aeros, but I might experiment a bit further another time. I will get the GoPro to work next time I will post the video here, I promise.

So last job all packed up in the trailer safely bound for the workshop and a full checkover.

p1050550.jpg

Some more soon .......

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 04/12/2018 15:47:39

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 04/12/2018 15:50:21

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 04/12/2018 15:52:35