FrSky X6R EU LBT 6/16CH Receiver

SONNY MONKS

Advert

Sonny,

interesting. I checked my Rxbattery parameters in Telsetup and it has 4.0 for the ratio. I certainly never put in a value so I guess the RX8Rpro is clever enough to load it for you whereas the x6R is not/does not.

Sounds almost like a bottom of range value no idea why it is called ratio, perhaps Chris knows.however it seems like you are now up and running which is great.

Tim

I can make a stab at a guess.

The actual chip inside is likely to only be able to measure up to a max of 3.3v so there has to be a voltage divider if you want to measure a higher voltage. This is usually just a couple of resistors. I seem to remember the Rx internal dividers have a 4:1 ratio. So when you connect 8v to the divider, 2v is applied to the chip.

So, at the display end, whatever the chip is measuring, you want that multiplying by 4 to take account of the divider.

That would explain a setting of 4 in the FrSky firmware.

(In OpenTx the same thing is expressed as the max voltage that can now be measured with the divider in place. With a 4:1 divider this is 3.3x4 which is 13.2

I'm afraid I don't agree about going for a different Rx because this one has appeared difficult to set up.

Bound using the telemetry setting, not touching the jumper and leaving the default telemetry sheetings will see any more of these set up very quickly.

That will be the same with an X4R, X8R or any of the RXR types.

Chris, I guess you might be right for anyone in the know with regard to what ratio value to enter in the Sensor setup. If I read the exchange with Sonny correctly , It was not a default setting , it was left as zero . My point was that with the RX8R at least the correct value appeared to be automatically entered on the Sensor set up , I presume as a result of the Rx bind as I certainly never filled it in. Since none of the manuals give a clue as to the correct value of ratio a new user is left out in the cold. (When using the Horus OS viz OpenTx)

Since the new Rxs claim 40% more range and need no jumpers or extra actions to set up Rx volts then that is the way I would go but then I have no existing Rx to influence me otherwise.

Tim

Posted by SONNY MONKS on 31/10/2018 19:03:59:

Call me old fashioned for fifty,but personally i think the technology is going a bit OTT,i wanted a tx just for signal reliability,not for numerous programming,like ive mentioned before,i wont even use half of what it can do,but each to the own.happy landings chaps.

Unfortunately you have been steam rollered by the frsky mob, just look what I can do, full up elevator and it flashes the car head lights and full flap it starts the car and puts the heating on. Won't say what I use but have never have any programing problems including quite complex glider set ups and is the simplest thing ever to use, I did briefly own a taranis when they first came out but just sold it as it was just unnecessary to be so complicated.

Now I know I will come under attack telling me its a learning process and it can do more than my transmitter can but I do believe you should have waited for the jeti. Sorry but that's the truth.

Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 31/10/2018 20:34:32:

Unfortunately you have been steam rollered by the frsky mob, just look what I can do, full up elevator and it flashes the car head lights and full flap it starts the car and puts the heating on. Won't say what I use but have never have any programing problems including quite complex glider set ups and is the simplest thing ever to use, I did briefly own a taranis when they first came out but just sold it as it was just unnecessary to be so complicated.

Now I know I will come under attack telling me its a learning process and it can do more than my transmitter can but I do believe you should have waited for the jeti. Sorry but that's the truth.

As a long time Jeti user and a relatively short time FrSky user I can say that I don't think the Jeti is any easier to use for the basic functions than the Horus. The OP was unlucky to have come across these issues with the FrSky system but there are similar complexities in the Jeti system. IMO both systems are both equally easy to use for simple functions and equally unfathomable when something throws a curve ball.

I use the Jeti for helicopters because of its ability to integrate with a few of the flybarless controllers on the market (tweaking in the field straight from the transmitter without a laptop and even during flight) but the FrSky system scores highly when it comes to Rx and telemetry sensor sizes and prices and so my planes all use FrSky. £25 for a stabilised 6 channel FrSky receiver compared to over £100 for the Jeti equivalent just makes sense.

The ability to buy a tiny full range Rx that will fit into the smallest of planes or spaces is another plus point for FrSky over Jeti.

Overall, it is horses for courses but for hardware/signal reliability and ease/complexity of use, I'd say both systems are pretty equal. For the costs involved and hardware flexibility, I'd say the FrSky wins.

What you do get with Jeti is seamless integration - probably one of the reasons why product launches can be quite protracted. Hopefully once you're past the learning stage things won't seem quite so daunting as they appear from this thread!

I have to admit that in terms of value for money, FRSky products are almost unbeatable but I do seem to see so many posts about the XYZ123 not working with LBT software or the WXY087 not being fully compatible with the ZZZ99 transmitter (as a non FRSky user - but sometimes involved with them through other club members who I try to assist - I'm totally lost so have made up some numbers). At least things seem less muddled than the myriad of incompatible systems produced by what was once the dominant market leader...

Every bit of Jeti kit that I own works with every other - for example, when EU LBT compliant firmware was released by Jeti, even my oldest non-upgradeable (bought in 2009) receivers still worked with exactly the same functionality as prior to the upgrade so although initially more expensive, the commitment to future proofing does offset the initial cost to some extent.

It's also a bonus to be able to email the factory and get a quick reply on any technical queries.

I've often wondered whether I might have opted for one of FRSky's Open TX transmitters had they been available when I bought into Jeti in the days of transmitter modules (although they would not have had the benefit of the record of reliability that is being built, at that time) but I've never had a moment's regret...although my bank manager may not agree!

Martin, all non LBT Rx's will work with LBT Tx's using OpenTx once they've had a firmware update that's freely available. The only Rx's that won't operate with any FrSky Tx is the first version non-telemetry V8 series ones but even they can be used if a DJT module is plugged in the Tx.
Early telemetry version Rx's (D series) can't be used with an out of the box LBT Tx's using FrSky OS but again they can if a DJT module is plugged in. The DJT modules cost around £24.

I actually use V8 series Rx's (mainly in Vintage models) with my Taranis via a DJT module as well as several V8 version 2 & D series Rx's directly from the Tx's internal RF module. Models with X8R Rx's have been migrated over to my (OpenTx) Horus though one or two D Rx's may follow.

Unfortunately you have been steam rollered by the frsky mob,

Care to back up this claim with any evidence?

Won't say what I use but have never have any programing problems including quite complex glider set ups and is the simplest thing ever to use, I did briefly own a taranis when they first came out but just sold it as it was just unnecessary to be so complicated.

I seem to remember that recently you were unable to assist someone with a problem on his Hitec Aurora 9 or even point to any help in the manual, though you did say you had two versions of the Tx.