Can I direct a question to beginners

David Ashby - Moderator

Advert

It was the rigidity the APC props and their very sharp edges that persuaded me to use a chicken stick when starting the LA46. It can be started easily by flicking the prop by hand (in fact the engine is a real pussycat) but I convinced myself that the prop was very unforgiving of a mistake - hence the high tech 9 inches of broom handle. Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Irvine .46 bought with a complete set-up from ebay in a Twister low wing sport trainer.

I removed the servos and engine ( without the mount ) and installed them all in my Chris Foss trainer, after fuelling up, charging etc I filled the tank for the first time ( after loads of grief trying to get the hand crank to work ) attached the glow plug and electric starter and nothing happened. I increased the throttle a tiny touch tried again and away it went.

I found the engine faultless, it starts 1st time every time and is very responsive. This is my 1st aircraft and engine so can only comment on this one, I did start it with a finger flick on several subsequent startings because to be quite honest I felt the electric starter a bit pointless because it starts so easily.I can recomend this engine to anyone from my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David

I started with a PAW 249 which was great but took a bit of  starting (but that was likely me) and then an O.S. 25 which started fairly well ( better than diesel) and stills runs well despite crashes and being dug out of fields.

Then I had an O.S. LA 40 which was a cracker, just prime it full (6 turns) and it started first go, with a finger. Wore it out, got it repaired and wore it out again . Bought another which stll runs beautifully and starts first time , every time. Going to put it in Werewulf, I hope. Ran them all, mostly on straight 20% castor.

Now running a TT 46 Pro which was cheap, starts first go ( prime it well, 1 turn at low throttle, put starter battery on, one flick and away.It  has loads of power for my WM  LA Racer artf  (5% nitromethane fuel). I like it a lot. I had it attached to a new Silhouette, which dug itself a very deep hole in the field following the motor at full throttle, and the motor just disappeared into terrain. The Silhouette just disappeared into a (small) bucket.

Dug up, boiled up, cleaned up, oiled up---runs a treat, never missed a beat and never cuts out. They're good aren't they.

I prefer 4-strokes though. (for the sound).

David

Hi Dave I am a beginner and have flown Electric since Easter.My instructor offered me his friends IC. aProtech Azurro Trainer with an OS46 LA installed and RTF.He gave me instuctions on stating procedure and the only reservation I had was removing the glow start, the engine being fitted inverted. On my 3rd visit to the field I was allowed to start it without assistance but I did have an audience,yes everyone stopped what they were doing to watch my maiden start up.IT all went successfully and I felt a great sense of achievement that it was running.In fact I was so Pleased with myself I would happily packed up and gone home very satisfied but after 1 flight I did just that stopped whilst ahead.I have to admit there definitely a different and more enjoyable feeling from an IC model ,a sort of character an electric doesnt seem to have.And after my flight now I can refill it and go again ,which unless you,have spent £55 on a spare battery you cant withelectric,unless you are prepared to wait an hour for the battery to recharge.I like the conveniense of electric but once I have a flight box I probably wontt notice that.I,m so pleased with the feeling of IC I,m building a suitable kit.I acquired a new Leo 46 which I intend to use in it SO I am a convert and before purchasing the said Proctor I had no intension of flying anything other than electric.so I will fly both now

• 2 weeks later...

I am a beginner (2 flights!). I bought an Irvine Tutor 40 with SC45 engine secondhand which was set up more or less right and has started and run well after tweaks by the guys at the club. I would say it would be wise to rely on advice from club members before flying- I thought my engine was fine until they showed me it spluttered at high revs due to wrong mixture. I am now looking forward to running in my os40la which has excellent instructions. I have only ever used a chicken stick, not electric. 

Having started Electric and dipped my toes recently in I/C I am having difficulty in choosing a replacement electric for the ones Ive recently totalled because Im still finding the thrill of that little engine running exciting.I fly a new Boomerang tomorrow This  is my first I/C build..and the engine IM using took a very heavy frontal impact last week in its previous model. It turns over perfectly so I hope it will be OK

My Irvine 53 has run like a dream since i fitted it in my Boomerang Trainer and the only issue with it was a blocked fuel inlet, not the engines fault though. I have an Enya 4 stroke fitted inverted in a New Precedent T180 which i hope to fly before the end of the year. It was brand new when it went in and has had about a gallon through it so far and quite frankly i'm not looking forward to finally getting it up in the air...its been a complete pig to tune and keep running. Throws the prop on occasions and is generally a pain in the butt but as its such a lovely sounding engine i will persevere with it until its right....some of the guys at the club reckon it just needs more running in but i'm nervous to say the least. I'm determined it won't beat me. I do use an electric starter for both although the Irvine probably doesn't need it.

I find IC plane engines only as dangerous as the people that handle them!! (and sometimes i cringe watching some of the "i've done this a thousand times before" brigade half expecting to be flicking shredded finger off my model at any time.

Have a starting proceedure and stick to it religiously and always restrain the plane, thats what i reckon. If it still gets you then maybe aero modelling isn't for you and you should consider cross-stitch or hill walking or something.

Paul   Nice to see your comments

For me my Irvine 53 is one of the most reliable engines I;ve ever had    -   little beauty ' Have an SC52 fs very happy with & love the music it makes especially when it has an oversize prop on .(no lipo problems there ! ) Never used a "restraint"  just my left hand as I flick the prop with my RH  Never trusted any body else to hold what I feel totally in charge of ( long before H&S came along ) Time to shut up & leave the model A/C industry to sell ready made Chinese clones to those that need their instant (but short) gratification .  I'm not Grumpy by choice . It's just that everything that was British & Great has gone  TIMBO !  Why dont you ban me ?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi David ,An update on my I/C progress.After Electric there seems so much more to take with you and remember.Once at the field there is so much more preperation involved before you are ready for flight and it all has to be carried out so carefully and precisely.Not yet having a decent flight box at present there is so much toing and frowing to get everything set up.Once inthe pits,The old restrainer my instructor has kindly given needs herculean strength to get it in the ground(the reason he no longer uses it.Get the pump in the right position to suck the  fuel into the model.Make sure the model is tight into the restrainer,before getting ready to start the engine. Position everything away from the prop,,make sure the starter lead is clear.Transmitter on,model switched on ,is it working,yes,ready to start,fit the glow heater,fit it again because it just fell off,Is there fuel,Prime if not ,but take the glow off again,back on ,position the prop and again as the engine didnt move,turn it over,now as a beginner its easier because my instructor has thr controller.Not starting,his finger appears on the carb,slight adjustment on the needle valve,I can see his moving the carb open and closed  and then she starts.Allow to tick over until it starts warming up bit more rev, until its flat outand now we are ready for take off.I carry the plane having carefully removed every object that might trip me up within a 100 yards,.Purpose fully walk the model to the take off position, by which time my hands are frozen to the airframe..Model stalls.I havent put the glow heater in my pocket but quickly we are ready ,and the instructor takes off,trims the model and when ready hands over.,and all is great.

Interestingly though I realise there is a .problem.Its probably my age,but its as if all the effort at getting the model in the air has left me short on coordination as if I need a short break before flying but you cant have one at that precise moment because this is the time you do the flying.On my 2nd flight today I had a different instructor whose approach was more adveturous which I liked.I had not taken off with an I/C upto now so he had me taxi up and down first to get used to the rudder control,its a Boomerang with the front wheel connected and then taking off.He took control on take off because I had gone a bit to far right,but soon had me back in control,But I relised Something was wrong.Because of using my left hand for take off, my brain  was still left handed,so Iwas using only rudder and throttle,I told him I had a problem and he just said ,"only use your right hand "and I was fine.He then had me doing approaches, a bit high and as our hands were getting cold chose to ask him to land nad so ended a great day.I did feel grat but did realise that I need to find a little moment between the engine running and take off  to collect myself fot the all important stage of flying