AR6600T telemetry data?

Martin Fraser

DX8 telemetry.jpgAR6600T.jpgHi folks,

I've been using this AR6600T in my Yak this season and am trying to get these telemetry numbers down by repositioning the RX and their antennas. I've not had any holds yet but I'm struggling to improve on these figures. I would have thought that the airframe is pretty transparent but it does have a carbon wing joiner. Should I be worried by what I see on my TX?

Edited By Martin Fraser on 12/11/2018 09:55:13

Edited By Martin Fraser on 12/11/2018 09:56:43

Advert

In my limited experience with orange receivers and DX6/8 transmitters that's not too bad , no H data . I think that's 40 odd consecutive dropped packets for one H . Dropped packets are inevitable and you will never get 0 it's just not possible , try it on the bench at home and you'll still probably see some packet loss . Otherwise I wouldn't stress about it , incidentally the other figures come in with satellites connected and can only improve the situation . If you can find an app for your home broadband which is on basically the same band 2.4g to look at dropped packets you would be appalled by the lost packets but you just wouldn't notice because they are immediately sent again until they receive correctly. I do think we are too quick to blame RC links today , if your aerials are well placed and the power supply is good then it's unlikely to be a radio fault.

Sorry Martin just rubbed the sleep out of my eyes the picture shows the main Rx getting 5 times the dropped packets of the satelite , shielding issue maybe ? I like my aerials stuck out in the wind but I'm a radio commissioning engineer so a little anal about that. I've had worst figures and absolutely no problems , we give ourselves an indicator then stress over what it tells us !

At the advent of 2.4gig, when recording everything became simple I too questioned this seemingly huge amount of fades and frame losses

But the then Service department was resolute in saying that was the idea, with everything competing with the signal

That this did re-aquire without incident

It is just these days we can see it all happening

Edited By Denis Watkins on 12/11/2018 11:45:16

From the Spektrum Flight Log User Guide and Rx installation guidelines:

1. Guidelines for DSMX

• Holds—Holds are unacceptable. If a hold occurs, please investigate and correct the issue before next flight.

• Frames—<100- In conventional models during a 10 minute flight, frames should typically be less than 100 on all receivers.

• Fades—Use Fades for comparison only. All attached receivers should have similar Fades. If not, investigate poorly performing receivers (location, antenna orientation, etc) and correct.

IMPORTANT: If the antenna is to be mounted internally (in the front of
    a 2.4GHz fuse), the coaxial can be taped into position. Ensure the 31mm tip is located at least 2 inches from any significant carbon structure.

•  

Edited By John Lee on 12/11/2018 12:32:43

"In my experience the 'T' receivers are noticeably worse than the non-'T' receivers when it comes to receiving the signal from the transmitter"

Steve, do I understand right -

for a 6600T, the main receiver (A fades?) shows more fades than, e.g. a 6210?

the satellite fades are about the same?

I guess the receiver has more going on internally, with the telemetry transmission, perhaps it is just a bit noisier in there?

and, a question, the telemetry transmission is worse than the module, in what way?

Posted by Steve J on 12/11/2018 10:28:48:

What is powering the receiver? If is the BEC circuit in an ESC, then I would suggest fitting a UBEC.

Steve

Hi all,

Steve - yeah it's a BEC off the ESC. For now I think I'll reposition and adjust the orientation of the main and satellite RX, further away from the wing joiner and the lipo flight pack and see if that helps.

Many thanks for the input folks - I'll report back after the next outing.

Cheers, Marty

• 2 weeks later...

s5150002.jpgHi folks,

Had the Yak out yesterday having relocated the main RX and satellite further aft. The number of fades is well down now and the losses on B look OK. Losses on A were improved to 770 after this photo was taken by taping the long antenna at 90 * to the satellite's.

Room for improvement but getting better.

Cheers, Martys5150001.jpg

Being a little exact, if you want to make sure those satalites, note plural, are never in the engine battery shadow, you use long leads, and position one in the tail, and one in the wing. Otherwise you read the instructions for acceptable fades, holds, and live with results, if within specification. Be grateful you have access to such data. Don't use the data to give yourself a kicking.