Take Off Dolly

Stearman65

Advert

Thanks for the answers guys, I should have searched Youtube before askingblush. I did look on youtube & there are loads of home made version, one even had a steerable tailwheel with it's own radio control & separate motor where he steered it out to the flightline, took off then powered the dolly back to the pits, which is great but a bit OTT. There is another simple folding version which I may knock up myself. Thanks again for the suggestions.

**LINK**

Posted by Martin Harris on 19/11/2018 22:25:59:

Not the ones illustrated but I made a similar dolly to launch a 4 metre Discus which was very difficult to hand launch. I've used it on other smaller powered gliders since and the only drawback is having to retrieve it from the runway. Perhaps some motors and GPS return to home might be a useful development?

Convert one of those electric race cars with a fusalarge support and get a mate to drive it back enlightened

Hi, I can't vouch for dolly's used for launching gliders (see Martin's + others posts), but my experience with small electric models (Funfighter & Ripmax hand launch models) has been quite unsuccessful. I have made a couple and bought a kit with steerable rear wheel.

• For the dolly to be a universal fit, individual models fit poorly, so skew/bonce about
  • The models due to power to weight induce massive swing to the left, (like 180 degrees, but normally enough to touch a wing tip and ground loop, FF has no rudder and the Ripmax does not have sufficient rudder authority at very low air speed
  • The steerable dolly RX has to be bound to the specific model RX (model match) which means to launch different models I have to keep taking them apart to rebind the dolly RX
  • Yes you have to live with the dolly lying somewhere on the runway until you land which is annoying (for me) and if you are gliding for 45 minutes a bit awkward if others want to use the runway

PS if you want awaked try 20 metres of bungee, dolly, minimum of 2 people and 7 ft long Vulcan!, but looks nice in the air!

cal_0190.jpg

Hi, to start my phoenix ASK 21, span 3 meter i use also a startdolly. the biggest problem from using a startdolly is: it somewhere on the field and you need an other person to retrieve it.

During this summer i have experimented to create a return home system, by using an Arduino, GPS and an Ultra-sonic distance sensor.

In de link one of the first testruns.

In short, the dolly has 5 wheels, 4 (black) are used during take off, at return home there are 3 wheels ( 2 black and 1 blue) used.

Edited By Koen Smits on 20/11/2018 09:47:16

Edited By Koen Smits on 20/11/2018 09:48:21

Edited By Koen Smits on 20/11/2018 10:15:11

Koen,

Very nice and seems to work well. Might not be a issue with the gliders, but I had major issues with the mass of the dolly. The model or bungee needs to accelerate as quickly as possible (in my book) as you want to cross the stall speed promptly.

I had one attempt with the dolly and model (no bungee) where it lumbered the entire length of the runway (very marginal power). As it climbed off the dolly so its AoA increased causing it to tip stall and in it went, only made more indignant as the dolly ran it to the model.

I went for the minimal (low mass) approach to the dolly and use a bungee to accelerate the model to flight speed within 5 metres. Still too close for comfort with no wind and a pleasure into a brisk breeze.

Not sure the best way of launching a glider regarding control surface settings (aileron neutral, crow brake or other) to better suit dolly launching?