Aldi 3d printer

Andy C

I have been toying with the idea of buying a cheap self assembly printer(£150 A8 type) for some time but have always been put off by not having enough time for modelling let alone learning something totally new from scratch. Just seen that Aldi are doing one for £300. I normally work on you get what you pay for, and a lot of hardware in Aldi is cheap. I can almost live with handing over £150 for something that may not be perfect, but £300 is a whole different thing. Any thoughts or experience with them on here?

Thanks

Advert

I have an Aldi spice grinder, 14 quid with a grinding bowl, and a paste bowl. James Martin does the same unit, less the paste bowl, for 26 quid. I saw a review, ( great unit) in the Guardian, different brand, 52 quid.

All the same unit, same factory.

So don't assume Aldi is just cheap and nasty.

But mastering a 3 D printer is a serious quest. Still waiting for my mate to announce he can produce vinyl masks to order, and they are 2D bits,

I have a Prusa 3D printer.

Have a really good think about why, and what you would use one for. You will also need to a fair amount of 3D CAD design work before you can print, or download other peoples files and print them.

Printing takes time, a lot of time. Parts for a plane, part fuselage or wing can run into hours.

Most of the time mine is collecting dust, I often find I can make the object by hand much quicker that I can create it in CAD.

That said, they can be an interesting hobby in their own right, but there is a lot to learn.

Just giving a heads up from my point of view. Many already CAD users will probably have a slightly different view. Though I was a CAD engineer before retiring.

Ray.

The ane t a8 is a good printer for the price and only takes about 3 to 4 days to assemble then a good deal of time to set up as would any of the self assembly printers but I have to say the prize beats it hands done for print quality and consistent printing , I don't know about the aldi one but if you are going to chip out 300 pounds you may as well take the leap to a lower prices prusa

If you want to test the waters on 3D printing then the Fabrikator II Mini from HKing is a decent ready to go start. Yes, it's "only" 100x100, but it has a small footprint for desktop use and despite having a Prusa Mk3 I still use it, and both are used several times every week. Parts over size can usually be cut to sections if you have to print larger, though many items are within that size.

The only mods that improve the Fab II Mini is to make a magnetic flexible bed sheet so parts can be MUCH more easily removed. Not the place here to elaborate, but its quite easy. The other mod is to add an internal LED strip to make viewing easier.

Posted by Jason Channing on 22/11/2018 23:29:18:

things that are dangerously wrong with the Anet..

If anyone is set on purchasing an ANET, please read all the Internet information on it.

It can be a fine printer, but it is not by reputation and report an out of the box "bolt together and run" solution, and might require attention inc careful safety risk assessment and attention with modding that an uninformed first time newbie is ill equipped to recognise and provide. This of course adds extra cost.

A problem with all 3D printers is that they are ssslllllllooooooooowwwww, and no-one is going to be by one for 8 hours or more. And they have highly heated areas and flammable materials, so if things go awry badly, or parts are suspect or assembled poorly, the results can be catastrophic. Used carefully they are a good addition to a modellers tools.

Posted by Andy C on 22/11/2018 19:17:10:

I have been toying with the idea of buying a cheap self assembly printer(£150 A8 type) for some time but have always been put off by not having enough time for modelling let alone learning something totally new from scratch.

I know several very capable and highly tech savvy people who have spent dozens and dozens, possibly hundreds of hours tinkering with 3D printing and still always have something crop up, or find it not quite right. TBH it's (or it can be) a complete hobby in itself and is ideal for people who love problem solving for the sake of it and have the time and interest and capability to get to grips with it.

If you are already finding it difficult to give full attention to your existing hobby I'd think very carefully before embarking on a complex and wide ranging subject that you might simply never be able to give sufficient time to. I do wonder how many inexpensive 3D printers are languishing in cupboards or gathering dust in the corner of workshops, despite their owners' original best intentions.

3D printing is great and I have a number of items that were printed for me after I searched around the web (a nice set of Merlin exhaust stacks is one), but I really couldn't be asked to go through all the agro of getting a system up and running myself, when very often, a much simpler option using conventional modelling techniques will give you excellent results. Anyway, good luck Andy, whatever you decide to do.yes

Edited By Cuban8 on 23/11/2018 08:26:45