New Sopwith Pup from DBSportandScale

GrahamWh

The DBSportandScale site has started advertising a new Pup to add to their small electric 1/8 size and 1/4 scale size which will be ready hopefully in Jan 2019.

It will have a 60" wing span, so will appeal to those who have been looking unsuccessfully for a Flair Puppeteer in stock anywhere as well as to those who want a more scale like model in the range. Now where's that spare OS 70 Surpass I had lying around...

Edited By GrahamWh on 03/12/2018 20:10:43

Edited By GrahamWh on 03/12/2018 20:12:28

Edited By GrahamWh on 03/12/2018 20:13:03

Advert

That is really good news. I built a DBS&S 58" DH Cirrus/Gypsy Moth last winter and I would love to build a Pup but the 1/4 scale is a bit too big for easy transport (and building in my smallish workshop). The Moth is 1/6th scale I'm guessing the Pup's somewhere in that area, too.

This winter it's my Ryan STA which is gradually coming together and then I aim to repair my H9 P47 which I crashed a few years ago but next winter's project is open.

Geoff

Posted by David Davis on 04/12/2018 08:46:38:

I used to have a Puppeteer powered by an HPVT 49 fourstroke which flew it well. Being a very heavy engine it was ideal in a model with such a short nose. Something like an ASP 52FS would suit it with some lead in the nose!

I was taught to fly on a flair pup powered by an OS 48 surpass. It was plenty of power but was eventually replaced by a 52 when it started getting a bit old.

The Pup-E motor-battery installation looks to have some merit.

However, the 60in span of the new version gives it 9 sq ft area so it could readily support the weight of a 5S 5000 setup and come in at rather less than 9lb for only 16oz/sq ft loading. Consequently it's to be hoped that the battery tray isn't going to be limited in size to accommodating only a 4S setup. The 5S will allow a lower current for the same power, longer flights, and less strain on the battery chemistry.

I'll be interested to see the wing mounting arrangement. I rarely go out flying for more than 3 hours, so fast assembly and dismantling is of the essence. After admiring Ian Redshaw's lovely 1/3rd scale Pup at the recent Ashbourne scale fly-in, an E-powered Pup has been whizzing about in my mind as a possibility for my next 5S lipo-powered model but one or two and this one might be a good candidate.

Gordon

• 4 weeks later...

Richard at DB Sport and Scale has kindly replied to an email I sent and we now know the following -

For IC power the pup will be aimed at 52-60 four strokes (it can be electric powered too).

The cowl will be aluminium rather than plastic/fibreglass..

There is still a bit of work to do before they can finally confirm the flying weight and the selling price.

• 1 month later...