FMS Hawk 80mm ,What is it like ?

tigerman

Advert

I have one and can say that it is a quality kit which takes no time at all to assemble. It flies like a dream, is really stable and looks fantastic in the air and sounds great as well. I fly off of a grass strip and the sprung undercarriage handles the lumps and bumps with no problems. It is the most expensive model I have ever purchased but it honestly puts a smile on my face every time I fly it.

A few months ago, a club mate brought his Freewing Hawk down on the same day I had my FMS Hawk flying. Overall the FMS model is a tad better finished with oleo retracts (not wire) and gear doors. It's slightly larger too.

The Freewing was flying with a 6S 5000mAh and was certainly faster but it was heavier so needed to be. But I preferred the the 3300mAh 6S in my FMS version. It was still fast enough and slower - and more manageable - when landing. As Ian says, for grass runways the FMS version has to be preferable thanks to the shock absorbing retracts.

I've not flown the Freewing version but the FMS model is superb and, like Ian's, puts a smile on the face.

img_6927.jpgimg_6940.jpg

Just come back after a great day flying the Freewing Hawk .Has Simon surgested.I tried belly landing it instead of preserving with the retract down and yes that is much better landed with out any problems and it stops the retract from damage .Simon you say you have landed yours with the flaps down and the flaps where OK .I was not brave enough to try a belly landing with the flaps down .Interesting if you received no damage to the flap in the down position .Might try that next time

Posted by Rocker on 14/12/2018 16:28:05:

Just come back after a great day flying the Freewing Hawk .Has Simon surgested.I tried belly landing it instead of preserving with the retract down and yes that is much better landed with out any problems and it stops the retract from damage .Simon you say you have landed yours with the flaps down and the flaps where OK .I was not brave enough to try a belly landing with the flaps down .Interesting if you received no damage to the flap in the down position .Might try that next time

Glad the model flew well!.

We have added protection to the servo linkage on the bottom of the wing, which potentially could suffer damage. We cut in half plastic spoons to make a "cowl" over the servo and painted red. If you have the facility, its worth using the "servo slow" facility. My flaps come down VERY slowly, which makes the transition easier with no sudden suprises!.