Hi all..

Quentin Smit

Greetings one and all.

New to the UK, arrived in October from South Africa and happy to be here. I know RC is huge here and can't wait to get flying again. Flown electric and petrol, largest I've had is a 50cc Edge 540, smallest a UMX Extra that I would fly inside the house when I couldn't be at the field. I love all forms of flying, spectating equally as much as flying. I enjoy doing 3D and throwing planes around a bit but can fly straight and level if needed..

Advert

Thanks for the welcomes..

We stay in Chepstow and from what I can see the closest club is BRCMAC (Bristol) and I'll definitely get in touch with them regarding joining.

I must be honest, I prefer the electric stuff above the noisy, messy ones - for quite a few reasons. However, you can't fault the sound of a meaty 2-stroke or the sound of a big prop-tip breaking the sound barrier.

Regarding the weather - we actually welcome the current weather. Cold is so much better than unbearable heat as it was when we left. If it's cold, you put more clothes on. If it's hot, you can only take so much off before you'll get arrested.

Thanks again for the responses, I hope you all have an awesome weekend.

Don't forget to check out the numerous aircraft museums which are mostly open all the year round. Old Warden, Duxford, Cosford, Mosquito Museum Hatfield are all within a days drive. I think there is an aircraft engine museum near Bristol.

Not much in the way of shows until summer but there is a lot of local indoor flying if you look around. A bit of indoor flying display at the London Model Engineering Exhibition in mid January

Hi, as an ex resident of that area I would be looking for a club in Wales. I see Gaer Park are still going, near Newport. They have a very nice site on the very big and flat ground to the west of Newport.

Why Wales, club subscriptions are cheaper. They would love a Springbok to extract the Michael out of when the sides meet. Baiting Englishmen gets dull for them. They will have thick skins. Traffic would be easier into Newport.

For a change, you are not a million miles from some good slope sites.

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 14/12/2018 18:28:46:

Hi Quentin

I am sure in time you will get to love/hate the UK weather just as we Brits do!

Yes cold is bearable but in time it is the cold & damp that gets a bit "wearing".

I am afraid it is one of the reasons I moved to electric - It always starts regardless of the conditions!wink 2

Precisely - the maiden of my 50cc Edge ended with a deadstick on takeoff - something that doesn't happen with sparkies ..

Posted by kc on 14/12/2018 19:57:28:

Don't forget to check out the numerous aircraft museums which are mostly open all the year round. Old Warden, Duxford, Cosford, Mosquito Museum Hatfield are all within a days drive. I think there is an aircraft engine museum near Bristol.

Not much in the way of shows until summer but there is a lot of local indoor flying if you look around. A bit of indoor flying display at the London Model Engineering Exhibition in mid January

Thats brilliant - I'll definitely put those on my 'to-do' lists, thanks!

Posted by kc on 14/12/2018 19:57:28:

Thats brilliant - I'll definitely put those on my 'to-do' lists, thanks!

Posted by Don Fry on 17/12/2018 13:51:45:

Hi, as an ex resident of that area I would be looking for a club in Wales. I see Gaer Park are still going, near Newport. They have a very nice site on the very big and flat ground to the west of Newport.

Why Wales, club subscriptions are cheaper. They would love a Springbok to extract the Michael out of when the sides meet. Baiting Englishmen gets dull for them. They will have thick skins. Traffic would be easier into Newport.

For a change, you are not a million miles from some good slope sites.

That definitely sounds appealing on all fronts, I'll look in to them for sure.. I'll have to wait for the Boks to up their game and beat Wales first though, can't say much at the moment due to their most recent loss to Wales.

Posted by Cuban8 on 15/12/2018 08:48:47:
Not sure about cold being better than hot.....cold = damp and muddy, no flying for me during the mud season.
Each to their own, I suppose.

The muddy may be a slight issue but the cold definitely not. Spend a summer in Cape Town and I think you'll agree with my sentiments. Try sleep at night when it's hot (in the 20's), no aircon and no breeze..