World Models Pilatus Porter P6

Stearman65

Posted by Stearman65 on 22/02/2019 21:44:44:
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 22/02/2019 21:24:37:

Your last post on there looks to be blank surprise

The last post was a duplicate of the previous post. As I couldn't delete the post, I just cleared the content of the duplication, hopefully when I add this it will show in latest posts.cool

I've deleted the blank post now in case anyone bothers looking for it!wink 2

We've got all the smileys back toothumbs up

Pete

Postman arrived early this morning, brought the cheepo power drill I ordered in case my battery drill finally give up the ghost. Also the digital spring balance I will be using to check the pull when I fire up the motor. This was mentioned in another thread.

I drilled a hole in the motor mount packing, then set to aligning the motor & mount assembly inside the cowl. It didn't fit as I would have liked, on examining I found one of the dummy exhaust stubs fouling the motor, did some judicious trimming & got it to fit correctly.

I hadn't yet drilled the mount holes in the metal reinforcing band for the cowl, so I was able to play around with that to get everything aligned. I then carefully removed the spinner backplate & cowl & drew around the motor mount. Decided to use aliphatic to glue the two surfaces together & managed to get one clamp to hold it in place. I'll leave it overnight then fit additional bracing to make sure it's secure.

p319.jpg

p320.jpg

p321.jpg

p322.jpg

p323.jpg

p324.jpg

p325.jpg

p326.jpg

Edited By Stearman65 on 23/02/2019 13:16:06

Edited By Stearman65 on 23/02/2019 13:18:06

Disappointing day today, thought I had a buyer for the Ka8B, but it turned out to be a tyre kicker who just wanted to knock me down.frown

Didn't have the heart to do much after that, dug out the 4Max Esc & HK Zippy lipo for the Pilatus to check for fit, found the Esc needed a male plug to connect to the lipo. Ordered a pair of male plugs from Ebay, have to break out the solder when they arrive.

p327.jpg

p328.jpg

p329.jpg

p330.jpg

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 24/02/2019 14:56:29:

Eric, do you think you might epoxy some triangular stock or even strips of spruce around the circumference of your ply motor mount where it butts up to the firewall. I just thought it might increase the glueing area of the mount.

Hi Piers

If you check my last but one post, the last sentence says I was going to do that very thing, plus a couple of self tappers. Thanks for the reminder.

Posted by Andrew767 on 24/02/2019 20:50:59:

Still coming on nicely Eric...Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Hopefully things will speed up now, although it seems I sort one problem & 5 others appear. I was looking at where to put the pilots today as I want to get easy access to the radio. Where they are shown in the comic is incorrect. The full size version has the pilot on the left & much further forward. As I mentioned earlier, I hope to mount a camera to give shots from various angles, one being from behind the pilot looking through the windscreen over his shoulder. However, the windscreen is so hazy I would have to insert a clear panel.

Onward & upward hopefully.

Regards Eric.

Following my experience with the tyre kicker I resolved to put all my efforts into selling the Ka8b, which is now done just awaiting collection by My Hermes.

So the Pilatus has been on the back burner, literally. The paxolin sheet I ordered to make the flap control horns from arrived, & one of our forthcoming Hospital visits has been brought forward to Thursday. So in between lulls in packing the glider I dug out the soldering kit bought a lifetime ago, (so it seems) & soldered one of the plugs from ebay onto the 4Max Esc. & that's about it. Maybe tomorrow after MH collect the glider I can concentrate on the Pilatus.

p331.jpg

p332.jpg

p333.jpg

Well the Ka8b has left the building, winging its way to Somerset via my Hermes. What with that & the shopping arriving, didn't get much done this morning. Three packets from the postman had to be examined, magnets, webbing & velcro. So after lunch I measured up for a pair of Lipo straps, cut 2 lengths of spruce & epoxied them in place to reinforce the motor box to the firewall & finally tried the Tamiya replacement paint, which looks like another coat will be needed to cover the original black. That's enough excitement for today.wink

p334.jpg

p335.jpg

p336.jpg

p337.jpg

p338.jpg

After a wet day in Ormskirk waiting for my wife's procedure to finish, it made a pleasant change to get back to the Pilatus.

First job was to finish beefing up the motor box. Then I painted the interior where it would be seen, & ran out of paint, trip to B&Q tomorrow to see if a match pot matches.

Then the serious stuff. made a mount for the fuselage servos as the one provided is too wide. I used the 1/8th ply from my LMS which cuts nicely on the scroll saw & cut out a 50 x 62.5mm rectangle to take the metal geared micro servos I'd bought for the Challenger, which I will also use on the flaps & ailerons. This brought back the number of times I've done this in the past, like riding a bike, once you've done it it's easy. The hardest part was drilling the mounting holes in the cabin area, my drill is too long so I used one of the watchmakers screwdrivers to get a pilot hole then my fingers spinning a drill, time consuming but got there in the end., There was a short lull examining the KK Outlaw plan that had arrived from the USA, folded not rolled as requested. There was however a note with the plan saying he could send plans rolled but it's extra, he also said he could produce any size,

After coffee & a quick examination of the mornings work, it was time to edit the pics & do the blog, maybe more tomorrow.

p339.jpg

p340.jpg

p341.jpg

p342.jpg

p343_edited-1.jpg

p344_edited-1.jpg

p345.jpg

p346.jpg

p347.jpg

p348.jpg

p349.jpg

p350.jpg

Woke up feeling grotty, must have caught a chill in Ormskirk yesterday?

I'd been pondering how to use the magnets I'd bought for the door, having failed with the supplied hinges. Didn't want to use magnet to magnet & get polarity problems, so I asked my wife to keep an eye open for a suitable tin. She came up with the lid from an empty jar of queen olives, so without much enthusiasm I set to to make some receptors for the magnets. After lots of measuring & pencil marks, I decided I could fit 4 to hold the door in place & probably attach a safety lanyard in case to door blew off while aloft. I glued the magnets to the door, followed by the queen olive lid receptors, result p*** poor. So I pulled off the receptors & as I was doing so, spied my drawing pin container. I tried a pin & magnet & yes, they gave better attraction than the queen olive lids, mustn't like garlic? So then I fashioned 4 strips of 1 mm ply to take the pins. For some reason, the ply didn't like being stuck to the pins with superglue, so I epoxied them in place. After coffee, the epoxy had cured, so attaching one at a time to ensure the magnet was central on the drawing pin, I glued them in place, & Voil'a, it works. May add a couple more where the hinges were?

Over & out is incorrect when signing off, the correct word is "OUT", when I took my VHF exam many moons ago.cool

p351.jpg

p352.jpg

p353.jpg

p354.jpg

p355.jpg

Edited By Stearman65 on 02/03/2019 16:26:59

Still feeling a bit grotty but couldn't miss an opportunity after the Andrew Marr show. Scoured the ever decreasing bags of bits & dug out the aileron servo mounts supplied with the kit. I hadn't opened the bag before & was surprised to find they were moulded in plastic. On close examination, they even had which wing was which marked. They were obviously too large for my Hitec micro servos, so I picked out some scrap ply, & the left overs from the motor box, (never throw anything away). I mounted a piece of 2mm ply to one arm & a piece of 1//4" ply to the other. I repeated the process with the other servo, then tried them in the wings. After a bit of sanding drilling & screwing I had the first fix. Will probably add a few dabs of epoxy to the ply to plastic joints next time I mix a batch. Flaps tomorrow, that will take a bit longer as I have to make my own mounts.

p356.jpg

p357.jpg

p358.jpg

p359.jpg

p360.jpg

p361.jpg

p362.jpg

p363.jpg

p364.jpg

p365_edited-1.jpg

Laundry day has come around again, so not much time for building. Decided to carry on where I left off yesterday & mount the flap servos. As these are non standard on the WM Pilatus, I had to start from scratch, although I had previously cut the holes in the trailing edge bottom sheets, basing the size needed on the £2 servos from Banggood.

I made my own versions of the sub base to take the screws to hold the mount in place from 1/8th ply. These were then glued to the underside of the balsa sheet using aliphatic glue. After coffee, I measured up for the actual mounting plates & cut them from 1/16th ply. Then I measured carefully where the arms should protrude, drilled 2 pairs of holes & joined them to form the slots. Next, using more 1/4" ply scrap from the motor mount, I clamped the servo in position & glued the first pair of block in place, clamped them & finally removed the servo. I used aliphatic again & have left it to dry overnight.

p366.jpg

p367.jpg

p368.jpg

p369.jpg

p370.jpg

p371.jpg

p372.jpg

p373.jpg

p374.jpg

All fingers & thumbs today, so not a lot done. Mainly completing the second flap servo mount. Called at B&Q to pick up an acrylic sample pot for the grey interior, Found a decent sized tin for £2, but no micro screws, smallest I could find was 4mm. Walking back to the tills saw some cheap bits boxes so bought one of those also. Back home drilled the second mount for the servo & ground off some excess from the sub frame, the cheepo arbor fell apart. Finally drilled the mounting holes for the mount, ordered some screws from Ebay. That's it for today, almost ready for the covering film, although there are the flap & aileron control rods to fabricate first.

p375.jpg

p376.jpg

p377.jpg

p378.jpg

p379.jpg

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 05/03/2019 17:08:27:

I get pretty well all my small screws and cap head bolts etc from Modelfixings. They have a fantastic range and reasonable postage charges.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. What I have problems with is the size to order, particularly self tappers, the current ones I'm involved with are really tiny, particularly the ones supplied with the micro servos. I'll take a look at your link.

Thanks againyes

Posted by Stearman65 on 05/03/2019 17:31:40:

I get pretty well all my small screws and cap head bolts etc from Modelfixings. They have a fantastic range and reasonable postage charges.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. What I have problems with is the size to order, particularly self tappers, the current ones I'm involved with are really tiny, particularly the ones supplied with the micro servos. I'll take a look at your link.

Thanks againyes

Thanks again Geoff, I think I've used them before when I checked the web site, I was in my Camera Lamps phase at the time, just ordered some more from them as it is easier to understand their sizes.

Thanks again Eric.yes

Shopping delivery day, so morning building is out. Waitrose delivered 4 x 2 pint bottles of milk that go out of life on the 10th, our next delivery 13th, gave them 2 back & sent a snotty email as they had also subbed the Yoghurt. Haven't used them for a couple of years, thought we'd give them another try, wish we hadn't.

Rant over, however, that set the tone for the afternoon where I was trying to fabricate 2 flap horns. Failed twice then decided the scroll saw needed a mod to use it on such small pieces. The slots in the blade guide are too big, nearly lost a finger a couple of times. Decided to get an ali plate same diameter as the cutting table, drill a hole in the middle big enough to get the blade through & a couple of fine slots & clamp it to the table. Will report later if it works. Finally managed to get 2 acceptable horns.

p380.jpg

p381.jpg

p382_edited-1.jpg

p384.jpg

p385.jpgp386.jpg

p387.jpg

Posted by Stearman65 on 05/03/2019 17:45:40:
Posted by Stearman65 on 05/03/2019 17:31:40:

Geoff

Thanks againyes

Thanks again Geoff, I think I've used them before when I checked the web site, I was in my Camera Lamps phase at the time, just ordered some more from them as it is easier to understand their sizes.

Thanks again Eric.yes

You're welcome, Eric.

I usually stick masking tape when marking out on things like fibre glass, aluminium or Paxolin that don't show up pencil lines too well. Considering I used to use my bandsaw to cut out small parts before I got my cheap scroll saw from Lidl you should be OK

Geoff

Hi Eric, you could use a sacrificial plate for fine work on your scroll saw. I use 3mm MDF normally. Simply cut a bit that is a bit smaller than the bed of the saw, then saw into it until it the MDF sits on the bed evenly and tape it to the bed. No gaps around the blade for small bits to fall down. Hope this helps, Ian.

Posted by reg shaw on 06/03/2019 18:33:12:

Hi Eric, you could use a sacrificial plate for fine work on your scroll saw. I use 3mm MDF normally. Simply cut a bit that is a bit smaller than the bed of the saw, then saw into it until it the MDF sits on the bed evenly and tape it to the bed. No gaps around the blade for small bits to fall down. Hope this helps, Ian.

Thanks Reg. I was going to use an ali plate the same diameter as the bed which is around 250mm diameter & drill a central 3/16 hole to thread the blade through & clamp it on with spring clamps so it's easy to remove. Thanks for your tip.yes